The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!
Poptart was mentioned in another thread of mine, and so i have decided to bring her up.
Poptart is more wild than a March Hare! She will literally run through her water trough to get away from me if i bring anyone/anything unusual in the pen with me. I want to try AI on her and her sister, but it will be a HUGE pain in the rear to even try to catch her for the process. But the reason i have held on to her this long is because of her comformation, she has great qualities that i need in my herd (wide, really REALLY good parasite resistance, easy keeper mineral and weight wise, just beautiful all around really!) only thing is her hooves. Her mom and her are really bad with their hooves, and i have gotten to the point where i let poptarts grow out until i cant take how long her feet are, so i bring out the roping rope and literally TIE HER DOWN!!!!! to clip her feet. The only way i can get her to come up to me is if i have food, so she is definitley food motivated, so that could possibly help me if i can tame her down. She has never been hit, kicked, or abused by a human! The closest thing to that is when i clip her feet, and i stay completely calm, even though she is freaking out, and her feet have only been clipped maybe 4-6 times in her one year and 8 months life span! what do you guys think. Should she stay or should she go? I would really hate for er to go to freezer camp, because she is just so beautiful, but at the same time, i hate having her around here if she is just causing me extra stress. Have yall ever dealt with anything like this? How did you tame your goat.
Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated
Nigerian Dwarf Goat

·
8,252 Posts
Put her in a small pen and hand feed her, spend all kinds of time with her until you can handle her. Small where you can reach her by standing still and reaching out. (And high enough she cannot jump out.). It may take awhile, but she should come around, especially if she isn't getting scared or hurt. Don't let her out until she is calm. Try tying her up, too. So she learns that she can't get away. After she is not fighting the tie up, then maybe put her on a leash and go for a nice walk with her.

Do you use a milk stand when you trim feet? I do not AI, but, my friend does. He claims you cannot AI a first timer. They have to have kidded previously. (Is this true?).

She may calm down after she kids..... Especially if you milk her 2x a day.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Put her in a small pen and hand feed her, spend all kinds of time with her until you can handle her. Small where you can reach her by standing still and reaching out. (And high enough she cannot jump out.). It may take awhile, but she should come around, especially if she isn't getting scared or hurt. Don't let her out until she is calm. Try tying her up, too. So she learns that she can't get away. After she is not fighting the tie up, then maybe put her on a leash and go for a nice walk with her.

Do you use a milk stand when you trim feet? I do not AI, but, my friend does. He claims you cannot AI a first timer. They have to have kidded previously. (Is this true?).

She may calm down after she kids..... Especially if you milk her 2x a day.
:up::nod:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
High strung does dont settle with AI. one of my rules is if a doe will not tame down with a minimal amount of work she is culled. I do not need to have o crazy doe make me hate goats. cull her you do not need the stress, there are too many sweet goats out there to wast your time with one jerk goat.
I have one set of twins one is just as sweet as can be but the other one is not going to genial down and she will get to ride the truck to the market.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Isolating her so that you are her only contact, and only source of everything, may help.
If you think she has qualities you want, but you don't want her, consider a regular breeding for her, take her babies to raise as bottle babies, and sell her. If you can get what you need without her (is anyone else that gorgeous and hardy?) then go ahead and sell her.

If you fear her going to a bad home (because of her craziness) then put her in your freezer. It is the ultimate end of livestock, and this is kindness to prevent a bad home.

There are many goats in this world. Too many to have a misery in our herds.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you use a milk stand when you trim feet?
With everybody else yes, but her i tie her down in the grass and have somebody hold her down.

I do not AI, but, my friend does. He claims you cannot AI a first timer.
the reason i though abt AI ing the FF's is bc the you tube channel Weed em' and Reep did it to one of their FF's and she settled. So i thought i should give it a try! But that doe is calm, and Poptart is NOT!!

Put her in a small pen and hand feed her, spend all kinds of time with her until you can handle her. Small where you can reach her by standing still and reaching out.
The only thing with that is her being alone. I hate having goats alone by them selves. I am going to have to do that though. I have to catch her first!!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you think she has qualities you want, but you don't want her, consider a regular breeding for her, take her babies to raise as bottle babies, and sell her.
I totally thought about that, and i think that is what I will do, but then i thought about having to milk her bc she has no babies to suck her down! That will be torture!

If you can get what you need without her (is anyone else that gorgeous and hardy?) then go ahead and sell her.
Yes, her sister and mom.

If you fear her going to a bad home (because of her craziness) then put her in your freezer.
if i cannot tame her down, then this is what i will have to do :(

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Whatever you do, don't let her have access to her kids. They'll definitely follow what she teaches them about being handled.

I don't say this lightly. I don't like bottle babies, and I want moms to teach them how to be part of the herd, what to eat, etc. But just like I won't allow a mom to infect her kids with CAE, I won't allow a mom to infect her kids with CrAz(E)y.

·
Fair-Haven
4,798 Posts
AI is only about 60-65% effective even in the best circumstances. Takes the right moment in the cycle, the sperm being at the right temp, the person AI'ing knowing how far to insert, etc. I would try to give her a month with work - they can surprise you - especially if she sees you coming and thinks you are going to wrestle her to the ground every time. Pen her, move slowly and give her nothing but good things. If she's still a nut - then down the road.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have had goats like that . they have literally tried running through the electric fence to get away from me. If she's young I would separate completely from herd. Make sure u r her herd. She will calm down once she realizes u are not going to hurt her . good thing she is food motivated that will help

·
Fair-Haven
4,798 Posts
I had a very pretty doeling this year that was a nut job. Someone came to pick up another kid, asked about her and YUP - she is for sale. The new owner didn't care that she was crazy - good for me - I do. Even with work she was way too hyper. Probably one of the best kids this year - but disposition means a lot. That being said - do give them the time and work they deserve. I have a 2 year old that finally is one of my sweetest girls ever.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,875 Posts
I have a doe who is pretty nervous around me constantly. Take the advice of these people above; they really know what they are talking about, but I want to add something that could help. When you have done all you can do to tame her, don't try to get her affection every time you go in the pen. I feel like with my Prim she feels better about being pet when I just happen to be standing next to her and I give her a small pet on the side. If I go in there and go right to her first, she often suspects me of trying to catch her. When I walk around her I have to be careful that she doesn't think it's the catching tiptoe.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Probably lots of good advice here but let me tell you about a girl I have that sounded similar. I kept her - bred her and after she went thru her pregnancy and birthing she changed. She is now a loving and easy doe. When they birth here they are in a stall of their own for several days until I am sure babies are strong enough to follow mom and I think during that time she (Annie) decided I was a great friend. Annie is my only solid colored
Annie's babies .JPG

·
Registered
183 Posts
My first experience with goats was like this. I bought them from someone who I later learned just bought and re-sold goats so you never know what you were getting. They weren't handled very much to begin with, and of the three, only one was ever comfortable with me being near her.

I tried everything I knew to do to get the other two to calm down. When the calm one died, the other two were worse. It really turned me off and I eventually just gave them back to the lady they came from.

Thankfully my experience this time around is the exact opposite, the three wethers are like puppy dogs!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
So Poptart's only experience from humans is that either they offer me food, or they tie me down? How were her first 24 hours in life? This is often the "window" when we humans can "brain wash" a kid into believing that we are really the most nice kind of creature on Earth. (If we succeed, the 2-day-old kid will run towards us, rather than away from us, once it can run faster than we.)

And her mother? Is she also skittish? In that case she may have taught her daughter to be, too.

I agree, if you want to keep her, do pen her in, so that she can add more "food administrator" to her image of you. Pretend to bend down a branch with leaves for her to munch on, that is a task of the flock leader. I mean, show her you have the twig, and slowly lower it so she can reach it. This, of course, can also be done in free range, the other goats eagerness adding to her need to rush if she wants a leave or two. But, if she really believes you are a down-tier, that might not help.

For catching skittish goats, I strongly recommend a daily penning in, feeding the goodies inside, and let the whole flock get in whereafter you close the gate. If possible, make a routine that the goats go up on the milking stand to get the treats, that routine will help a lot when it comes to various other needs, like brushing, nail clipping, all kinds of checking and treatments.

But maybe you do not have a place where you can put a milk stand, and close gates all around so you can be alone with one goat at a time? Maybe you do not have the opportunity to let out the goats in the other end, so those skittish ones finally have to choose between being alone in the Waiting Room, or come into the Milking Room? In that case it is, of course, more difficult.

And, I totally agree with @mariarose, do not sell her alive!

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts