The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I knew Thumper was underweight when I bought him a few days ago. But I took him to the vet this morning and I never would have guessed he only weighs 44 pounds. He's a 8 month old alpine I figure he should be atleast 80 pounds.
The kicker? He's actually gained weight since we bought him so he was likely even lighter. :GAAH:
How the heck is he still walking?!

He is at the vet right now getting a full checkup and shots and a fecal.
I'm just so upset at his condition. Dont get me wrong I knew he wasn't well cared for before I brought him home. But this just makes me very very sad.
The poor baby...
He was being sold for meat too. I see no meat.
His hip and leg bones are visible.

I've been giving him a mix of Noble goat and calf mana feed wise, free choice hay both timothy and alfalfa. He gets walked once a day and allowed to eat all the browse he likes.
Anyone have any recommendations on getting weight on him other than what I'm doing?

· Registered
6,548 Posts
Wow! I just don't understand why people do that to their animals. If you don't have the feed or the money to buy feed, then sell before your poor animal gets in such poor condition. Adding a little BOSS for fat would be my only suggestion. Adding oil to a thin animals rations will usually help it put some weight on....it sure helped my OLD horse anyway.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does BOSS stand for? Does Tractor supply have it?
Thank you for the help. I'm just baffled he's still alive and kicking they had other goats their does looked really good nice and fat. Honestly I took him out of concern because he was so skinny. I'm glad he has a good appetite and everything hopefully I can get him big and shiny soon. :(

· Premium Member
15,206 Posts
Take it slow with the feed. You could start with free choice hay and minerals and slowly start adding "good stuff" to his diet. If he hasn't had proper feedings for awhile, then his body will need time to adjust to the change. I know that's hard to do when they're so skinny, you just want to give them all they can eat, but that will do more harm than good. Glad he's in a new home and good luck! :thumb:

· Registered
1,193 Posts
To put the weight back on Peggy Sue after her kids and illness I used a mixture of 3 parts oats, one part calf manna, one part sweet feed and gave her the "fines" from the alfalfa. I just shake the flakes into a bowl before I give them to my other does so she gets lots of healthy alfalfa leaves. She eats more and spends less time picking through her food that way.

I know that Sweet Feed has a bad reputation, but when you give some sugar in conjunction with lots of protien the sugar is used immediately for energy, while the protein is used for building the body. Adding lots of fat to the diet to put on weigh can be tricky if the animal involved isn't burning enough calories or hasn't got much muscle mass and you can end up with other metabolic issues or a flabby goat. At least that's the advice I got from my friend who's a trainer.

Peg has slowly but steadily put on lots of healthy weight and looks great after three months. Oh, I'm also giving Super B Complex to stimulate appetite and increase her energy. Good luck with yer boy!

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Just got him home and his parasite load is very low so the vet said he was likely starved to get this way. :(
At least that is great. Did the vet say he was in good shape other then that weight then?

Yep do the feed SLOW. It will be more trouble in the long run if you go to fast.

I am sure all the free hay he wants will do him a World of good.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup he looks good other than his weight.
Vet did remove his dried up man bits because he'd been banded and they were really dried and rotting so he figured he'd snip um off.
I'll be sure not to overload him with feed. I'm going to keep his amount steady just add some Boss or something in his feed. I'd never give grain free choice lol.

· Registered
8,603 Posts
Glad he is in your caring hands now. It seems most "butcher" goats are skin and bones around me :(

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Just got him home and his parasite load is very low so the vet said he was likely starved to get this way. :(
Ugh!! Poor little guy:( At least he is in a good home now, and he will thrive in your care... That's both sad for the animal, sick for the old owners to do this.., but again he'll be okay now with you:)

· Super Moderator
16,981 Posts
I just want to add I totally swear by the calf manna when needing weight. I have a doe that I'm trying to put weight on right now and have been feeding her 16% goat noble calf manna and the boss and she is gaining great and her coat is getting so slick and purdy again. And I also agree with the taking it slow ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.