The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're about to have a pretty bad cold spell...my six month old Pygmies have beautiful winter coats, but have yet to experience any cold below the thirties. We're supposed to get close to the single digits, and I live with pretty severe and cold east winds (35-40mph winds) brings the already cold into the negatives. I have a shelter that is pretty good against the wind, but drafts (sometimes pretty strong ones) make their way in, and I can't bring myself to close the little things in.

I'm not sure if I'm totally okay with getting a heat lamp because of the fire hazards, or if it will be very effective with the wind drafts. So I thought about getting goat coats? And if I see their getting cold maybe use those. I've had goats during the winter before, but they were older and the weather was pretty moderate.

Any ideas? :ponder:

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
I would only be concerned about new babies or any with compromised health. If they're over a few month, have good coats and are in good weight, they should be fine with a well bedded shelter like ksalvagno said.

·
1,147 Posts
I live in Alaska, and we get a LOT of winds where I am (80-100 MPH sometimes), and occasionally, they happen when it is -20 outside!
I don't do heat lamps. I have a "spiral", low wattage, soft red light bulb in my goat house for the girls that stays on all night, but I use an Electric Oil Heater to keep them warm... It's MUCH more energy efficient than the heat lamps, and MUCH safer IMO.
Mine looks a lot like the photo...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts