The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have currently 2 goats. Rose and Clementine. A.K.A "Wild Girl" and "Sweetie Pie". Rose is very energetic i have no idea what to do with her. Whenever i go to the pen which is a 16 by 8. She goes absolutely crazy! She jumps around and "frolics". Whenever i take her on walks she always wants to run. How do I get rid of all this energy? I try to do my best. Keep in mind that she is a show goat, (if that helps!).

Thanks! And be nice!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you build her a goatie playground? Our girls (even the low energy ones) love the wooden spools that you can get from power companies. You'll need to go over them carefully to check for splinters and staples, and cover any holes with boards so they don't get their legs caught. Since you have a fairly small pen, be sure to set the spools well away from the fence, so your gals don't get any clever ideas about escaping.

If you get more than one spool, you can build a simple ramp to go between them, or use an overturned spool as the center for a seesaw.

I believe I have also heard of people giving goats one of those big inflatable exercise balls to play with. Might be able to find one of those on Freecycle, if there's one in your area.

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
Give her a bigger place to run around in. Some things to climb on. She has a lot of energy and it has to come out in lots of exercise. I would have her run around for a bit before taking her for a walk.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
Yes, she would love more space and/or things to climb on! 16x8 is a small area for a goat. I know not everyone can accommodate a big pen though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Walk her more. If you are going to show her she needs to learn lead manners. Practice setting her up. Walk her in large circles and practice turning. If she completes a circle and a turn without lunging or pulling give her a treat. If she doesn't, make her re-do until she does. Be consistent with treats. Judges LOVE an energetic but well mannered goat.

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
Give her something else to do. You can put a doggie pack on her and give her a few items to carry. She will start thinking about her job instead of being so hyper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts