Cream in different breeds

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by rebelshope, Apr 20, 2009.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have to admit that when I first milked my Nigerian, I was quite upset not to have almost no cream at all. I knew that goats did not produce much but there was zero I could scrape off.

Then I started milking Chey, my pygmy, and low and behold I had cream! I was so surprised!

Then i read on another thread someone mentioned that she kept nubian around for cream.

So are there some breeds that seem to produce more cream?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    THe butter fat in Pygmy goats is the highest. Nigerians have a high butter fat on average but maybe you have one that comes from lines that arent very high in butter fat.

Nubians are pretty high in butter fat and I know that Oberhalis are pretty low.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep....Nigies have between an 8-12% butterfat...pygmys are closer to the 10-12%.....my cross does give a good bit to skim off and Binky has a good amount as well, if I leave it sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours I get a good skin across the milk as well as about 1/4 inch of cream underneath the skin, this is in a large 8 cup measuring cup

I am thinking that Saanens have a lower butterfat than most dairy goats

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I thought that Nigerians were the highest, which is why I was so surprised that there is literally just a film on Dixie's milk. Makes me really want to get another pygmy to milk. Chey will never be bred again which sucks because she is such a good milker. Maybe April will do a good job. I am hoping so.

Thanks! :)

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oberhaslis are sort of middle of the road for BF, Saanens have the lowest. I personally think that LaManchas have the best tasting milk though :wink:

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I am going to have to go with goathappy on this one. I have tried nubians, nigerians and lamancha's and overall I prefer the lamancha milk. I have found it to be creamier and it evens seems to be better for baking with.

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    But they don't have ears :shrug: I need ears and high butterfat. :wink:

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    LOL! That's too funny...but yes, LaManchas do have wonderful milk...if only you could get past the lack of ears.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I noticed my LaMancha had super high butter fat when she first freshened and now it's more like skim milk in comparison to what she was making.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have to agree - the lamancha ears really REALLY creep me out - can't do it!

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

And just imagine what the LaMancha's think when they see goats with ears. lol

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :ROFL: I agree the no ears thing really creeps me out.

Luna's milk was tested, and of course I dont have the paper near me, and her butter-fat was around 10-11% and her protien was almost 5%. when I put the milk in the fridge I get about a 1/4in of cream in a 1gal tupperware dish.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    They HATE goats with ears, I've never seen such horrible ear biters in all my life!! Well, Alpines :roll: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

get plastic surgery on them.. ear implants

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I never had the milk from a munchie but was raised on that from , Nubian, Alpine, Saanen and Togg.......I prefer the nigi and nigi/pygmy milk, to me it is creamier and sweeter.

16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    OMG! You are right! LOL! :ROFL: :ROFL:

17. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

They are just jealous and trying to steal some ears for themselves. :shades:

18. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    LOL - awww how can you not like something so cute. By the way, where are you sending your milk to be tested as I would like to test 2 of mine?

See thats cuteness right there!
    [​IMG]

19. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Your doe is very striking! She reminds me of a gazelle!

20. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    My that doe is pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!