Cream Separators

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sungoats, Aug 30, 2008.

1. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Can anyone give me advice about cream separators? Is it worth getting one to use with goats milk? Are there any brands or styles that are better? Are they simple to use? Thanks!!!

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I too would like to know the answer to this question. I was told that putting your milk into a pan with a lot of area to it (like a 13x8 cake pan or something like that) then put it in the fridge. The next morning, skim the top and there is the cream. Is that right?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, I skim enough off of mine to fill quart size containers...the more milk there is the less time it takes to get enough for butter. With a gallon a day and skimming after 12 hours or more it was taking 2 weeks to get a qt...I keep it in the freezer and add to it daily. You won't get all the cream from the milk this way as it is impossible to do with goat milk unless you have a cream separater ....which I have seen Hoeggars carries 2 types at $300plus....way to expensive for me.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, okay. So you can keep it in the freezer while still collecting cream? I didn't know that. I wasn't getting enough to make butter in time so I just gave up. Good to know. I don't think I'll be investing that much into a cream separator, I don't need it that bad. :)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, it's easier to freeze those spoonfuls each day til you have "enough"....right now I have 3 quarts of cream frozen...I let it thaw in the fridge for 2-3 days before I put it in my Kitchen Aid to make butter....it comes about pretty quickly with the paddle attachment.

6. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Is there anyone who can answer my original post? Does anyone have (or ever had) a separator who can tell me which types are better? Are they difficult to clean? And, aside from the cost, are there any drawbacks? Thanks! :)

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Liz kind of answered your post a bit. Look at Hoegger's Goat Supply, they should tell you all the info you need on the separators, that is if no one is able to here. I'm sure someone will be able to though. I'd rather just skim it the "old-fashioned" way like Liz. :)