Creasotte (sp?)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I have a question about creasote, I don't think I am spelling it right. It is the black stuff they soak phone post in. I sold a goat two years ago to a woman, and about three months ago the goat died. She called a few days prior to Riska's death. Riska had been vomiting, then she quit eating, wouldn't get up, thrashing around, kicking her back legs as she layed on her side. I did beg her to take Riska in to the vet, but she lives in a very remote area and couldn't, or wouldn't.
    I got a call from her yesterday and her LaMancha is doing the exact thing, all except for the vomiting. We went through a list again of what she coul dof gotten into, bad feed, etc etc...Then for some reason I asked her if she had any creasote soked posts. She has them all over her property. I am wondering if someone out there knows anything about creasote and if it could be toxic. My husband said it's oil,that's all he could tell me. I am going to search the internet as well, but thought I would post here first and see what comes.. Thank you so much for reading this post!!
    Victoria

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all. Welcome Victoria to the Goat spot. :wave: :wave: We are so glad you are here. :leap:

I would say that she needs to get this goat some Charcoal into her NOW. That is what should be used for any poison. I have the stuff for goats but I know others have used the charcoal from like a fish tank.

I am sure someone else will be able to help you better with this.

I am just sorry you and her age dealing with this.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you checked poisonous plant lists? Rodies and Japanese Yews are deadly as well as Asalias. All can cause vomitting and those thrashing kind of movements.

The winter kills off everything green except those kinds of plants and they are very tempting to a curious goat.

Treat with activated Charcoal as Lori said. You want to keep the vomiting up and also give her some yogurt to replace her good bacteria in her rumen.

Welcome :wave:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Creosote would not be the cause of the poisoning...unless these animals are very hungry, the smell alone would deter them from eating it...as Stacey said, the more obvious plants that could/would be the culprit would be the Azaela, Rhododendron, Juniper, Mountain Laurel as these tend to stay "green" year round....getting charcoal into her would likely save her but if she is already convulsing there wouldn't be much you could do....I'm sorry

Welcome to The Goat Spot.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hi, hello, HI!! I know you!! :D :leap: This is my very favorite aunt everyone! Okay, I'm done now. . . . :oops:

Anyways, that is very depressing, poor Riska, I remember her. :(

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    YAY! Great to meet you, we have heard much about you!

Sorry about the circumstances, though.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

First off welcome to the goat spot! so glad to have you here! I would have to agree that unless the goat was starving she wouldnt of injested the creosote. But it does sound like a poisening to me. i would ask her what kind of poisenous plants she has near there.
    beth

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My aunt does not have power anymore. . . .

I talked with her about it a little and this woman swears she does not have any poisonous plants anywhere. She said these does have been locked in a stall for about a month, because of the weather up there. She lives in the mountains kind of.

She said her hay is very good quality, not moldy or dusty; she feeds it to her horses. So. . . . this is strange.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I had a problem once with my hay. Only one doe got sick though. She would get better start eating and then it would start up again. I finally threw out the bale and she got better :shrug: it was the strangest case of vomitting I have experienced especially since I had two does and only one got sick.

That doesnt mean it is the hay.....but I wouldnt rule it out yet.

Does she have any neighbors who dont like her? A friend of mine swears her neighbor poisoned her goat and she died (they had difficulties with this neighbor over the goats).

10. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Hi everyone, thank you so much for the warm welcome!
    I will be working on my profile if the power stays on !!
    I talked with Cheryl today and the goat is about the same.
    She is not able to get charcol of anykind as we are really
    snowed in..so she will keep on with the fluids, and other
    things suggested. Thank you all for you suggestions. I decided
    to go out to her place when weather permits and just walk
    her place with her..This is so frustating not being able to help, but
    what a good reminder to keep a good emergency kit handy
    for situations like these!
    Thanks again!!
    Victoria

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yes you can get some charcoal!

Its as easy as burning some toast, and scraping the burnt bit off.

I have also read that strong tea, given cold, is good for poisoning along with the charcoal.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have never heard that. That is great information.

That is why I LOVE you all so much. :love: :clap:

Now if she has had them locked in the barn that long, what about pneumonia? Has she taken the temps of any or all the goats? What about listening to them for any rattling in the lungs or such? You have to watch the ammonia is not to strong.

OH if only I would of brought my new goat book I just received from my SS I would be able to look it up a few other things . :scratch: how dumb of me NOT to bring it to work. :hammer:

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i read a story on the pack goat group i belong to, the man was up in the mountains and one of his whethers started vomiting, as a result of eating something poisenous. He found an old log that at one point had been burned ina forest fire or something. ZHe mixed the charred wood with some water and used that. His goat survived the hike and made it down the mountain four days later.
    beth