Creative Ideas For Broken Dishware????

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by HollowbeadRanch, Dec 18, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok.. at the risk of sounding off my rocker....

We are getting our new home Spring/Summer 2009 (it is going to be GORGEOUS!) :leap: , so I have been going ahead and purchasing some things to have for when we get it. Hubby is letting me COMPLETELY refurnish the kitchen! All new dishware and everything! :wahoo: Which brings me to my question(s)..... As most of you probably already know, Linens-N-Things is going out of business (the whole company), so all of there items are on sale for 40%-60% off! It just so happens that they carry the dishware that I was wanting! I got one complete set, and then the only other one they had left in the store had one broken plate :angry: :hair: , but I bought it anyways (because they gave me an EXTRA 10% off) and figured that I could replace the plate. But here is my delima... I don't want to throw away the broken plate :roll: :shades: I know that probably sounds wacky, but the dishes are just SO nice (or atleast to me they are :wink: the sets were an original $60 for a 16pc. Service for 4 and I got the undamaged set for $30 and the set with the broken plate for $24!)! I was wandering if anyone knew of ANYTHING (a display or wall hanging or something!) that I could make incorporating the broken plate pieces??? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how broken is it? because my mom breaks up plates and makes mosaics out of them, for table tops and serving platters etc. I can take pictures when I get home of the things she has made.

3. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Oh that would be GREAT!!! Are they hard to make??

Here are some pics of the broken plate:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see there are some big pieces and a few smaller pieces in the middle (BTW, those smudges are my finger prints... dang flash on the camera picked them up :roll: ). I know they aren't the "fanciest" dishes ever, but I tend to lean towards earthy tones and simple designs (I'm not the kind of girl that decorates everything with floral stuff... not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not me :wink: ). The flash made the back of the plate seem lighter than it is. It is actually a deep brown color, and I don't know if you can tell in the pics or not but the edges of the plate are kind of like a drip pattern where the colors change a little. One of the main reason I fell in LOVE with these dishes is because of the drip style and the glaze! I collect McCoy Brown Drip Pottery (was a brand produced here in the USA back during the depression), and the glaze and style of these dishes remind me of it SO much!

Anyways... enough babbling from me... do you think I could do something like what you are talking about with the pieces? If I needed more pieces I could always see if I could find any other damaged pieces somewhere :shrug:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My sister has the same set! beautiful set LOVE IT!

yup that will work, will get pictures for you of what she has done

5. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you SO MUCH!!! :leap: I REALLY wasn't wanting to have to just throw it away! Of course... Hubby's first reaction was "It's broke... what can you possibly need a broke plate for?" lol! I was hoping maybe I could find something to do with it though, like an original one of a kind piece to display in the kitchen :greengrin: So this sounds PERFECT!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    They are very pretty, and the mosiacs is a good idea.. I should try that.
    When we first moved to this property there was an old house (atleast 70 y/o, probably more) here with a huge attic. The attic had open spaces down into the walls, since the walls were hollow. Well when we had our new house put up, we had no need for this old one, so we had the fire department over to burn the place down; well they knocked holes through the walls so the place would burn more thouroughly, and the wall between the living room and kitchen was jammed with old stuff. There was tons of little glass spice jars on the very top of it all, amoung other interesting doo-dads, and one fireman asked my dad if he could take them (after he said 'wow these must be worth a fortune!') and my dad said that he didn't care (because he's gullible and doesn't think) even though I told him not to (I'm a huge antique junky), anyway, the guy filled a bucket full of stuff and they left to let us clear out more, and we eventually knocked holes through other walls (unfortunatly we missed the wall with the most stuff under the stairs, didn't find that out until after it was burnt down). We found old pottery (broken and unbroken), an old baseball, a leather dog color, two red stone marbles, a cast iron figurine, a Zozo monkey (priced at $75), several other odd old toys, a little girls good shoe, alot of nice glass jars and such, some fancy glasswear and stonewear, mostly chipped and broken, and I can't even remember most of it. After the house was burnt and my mom was clearing the place, the one wall we missed was filled with about a foot of melted glass, and the blade of an ice skate, a huge ladle, and what looked to be the remains of an old music box. We kept everything expect what was in the one burnt wall (I kept the blade and ladle) anyway, back to the subject, I could use alot of those old broken pottery parts and such in mosiacs probably.. I would love to see you're mom's table tops Stacey.
    Brandi, I have several McCoy pottery items, amoung other brands, I personally love the crackle glaze porcelin. I do have this old beautiful liquior jug (I think it is McCoy), but one side has a huge piece missing ='(

Anyway I better stop because I could go on and on.