The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I need some help with coming up with some creative punishments. I am helping my brother out over the next couple weekends with his kids while some of his other children are in sports tournaments. The plan was to keep my niece and nephew this weekend. Well my niece has gotten rather out of hand lately and my brother has asked if I can come up with some creative chores for her to do around the farm. (We did this to my little brother way back when and farm chores were just the trick!)

She's only 9 so the chores can't be too hard but let me know some of your creative ideas! I have goats, rabbits, chickens, ducks, dogs/puppies, etc.

Some ideas I had was sweeping out the barn, spot cleaning any pens, scrub buckets and rabbit water bottles?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Be sure to give very clear instructions without too many words explaining how the task is done and what the end result should look like. We host my 9 and 12 year old nephews often and it really helps to not add to their pre-teen angst and frustration because life is confusing. I also work hard not to frame anything in a negative way or joke about it being punishment.

Some tasks I have them do include using a broom to take down cobwebs as high as they can reach, opening & spreading pine shavings and recycling the paper wrap correctly, throwing firewood into our basement hatch, and sorting buckets of nails/hardware that have gotten mixed up. They also are given quite a few small tasks during meal preparations here.

Don't forget to include something she enjoys as well - I drive my nephews to the library and they can pick out a DVD they want to watch before bed time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She loves being around the farm so it'll be hard for anything to be a punishment haha! We're hoping to have goat babies by then so I'm sure part of the "chore" will be to help check on the babies haha! We have a lot of fun plans as well. I'm thinking about having her help make something nice for her mommy and daddy. She's super artsy and I hand paint a lot of signs for like home decor so maybe we can combine it to a way for her to give back to her parents and use her creativity in a healthy way rather than the shenanigans she's been causing

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
But why even think the word "punish"? I would prefer the word "guide" or "inspire"! :)

One very important task could be to spend time with the newborn kids, to "brainwash" them into believing that humans are very nice to be with. And of course it is important to have help checking often on the pregnant does, so you do not miss any labour problem. Only remember that "Children and animals should be together, that is nice for both parties, but you must stand there and stare at them!"!

Do not forget to check in the library if they can find Emil in Lönneberga by Astrid Lindgren! He spent some hours in the carpenter house after every shenanigan. "And even if he does not do any shenanigans, it happens lots of things to him anyway. I never saw a child like Emil!" The books about Emil have also been made to films, hopefully properly dubbed!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But why even think the word "punish"? I would prefer the word "guide" or "inspire"! :)

One very important task could be to spend time with the newborn kids, to "brainwash" them into believing that humans are very nice to be with. And of course it is important to have help checking often on the pregnant does, so you do not miss any labour problem. Only remember that "Children and animals should be together, that is nice for both parties, but you must stand there and stare at them!"!

Do not forget to check in the library if they can find Emil in Lönneberga by Astrid Lindgren! He spent some hours in the carpenter house after every shenanigan. "And even if he does not do any shenanigans, it happens lots of things to him anyway. I never saw a child like Emil!" The books about Emil have also been made to films, hopefully properly dubbed!
I love your way to look at it. :)

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Glad if my words can inspire somebody! Please tell us if you manage to find any of those books or films! And the girl's reaction! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts