The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in need of a creep feeder and searched the forum and web for ideas. I had to use what I had on the farm for monetary reasons. I came up with this, and will report back on how well it works. Has been going great for 3 weeks now. I raise Nigerian dwarf but can be customized for bigger goats. I picked the corners for entrance due to kninny size but may need to pick the next size square for wider entrance.

IBC tote frame
2x4 Welded Wire 5’ tall
Zip ties
Saw Zaw with metal cutting blade
Moultrie Gravity Feeder $25 sold at Tractor Supply and Walmart
Couple hours time

I took IBC tote frame and turned upside down so the bottom acts as a roof. Made two entrances in the corners by sawing two of the metal bars off for bigger height to walk in. Wrapped the frame with welded wire using zip ties. Strapped gravity feeder to back of frame inside away from the two entrances.
Kids are now 5-6 weeks old and have zero problems entering and exiting and dams cannot get in. Even my skinny dam with narrow shoulders can’t make it. Only problem is refilling the feeder. I have to tip the entire frame up which I strategically placed close to the barn as to be able to tip up and kneel down to bend down under and fill up feeder then get out and tip back down. You could take it one step further and unscrew the “roof” and put on hinges to lift up and pour in food to feeder. Thanks for reading and any thoughts for improvement are welcome!
Mesh Pet supply Motor vehicle Wire fencing Automotive tire
Dog breed Mesh Pet supply Grass Carnivore
Vertebrate Mammal Mesh Fence Fawn
Vertebrate Light Mammal Grass Automotive tire
Goat Window Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal Sheep

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem! It also gives the babies a place to hide from other goats. I’ve even found them sleeping in there. I have a small barn and needed the creep feeder to be outside and it has been great. I might take your idea and hang a hay feeder on the side! Super multi purpose 😁

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Thanks for reading and any thoughts for improvement are welcome!
The feeder is strapped in place between 2 uprights of the frame. If the welded wire between those 2 uprights, (directly behind and above) the feeder, were cut out and removed, would the opened area be large enough to remove the feeder top (attached by something to let it hang free and be retrieved) and refill it by using a large size feed scoop?

Rectangle Font Electric blue Parallel Logo

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s good thinking. I wouldn’t want to remove the welded wire completely because i know my dams would try to squeeze and jump up in there. It is wider than the entrances. But, if there was a way to make a trap door right there behind the feeder, to be able to open and close it, would be ideal. I’m going to look into making that happen. Here are close ups of that area.
Vertebrate Automotive tire Mesh Plant Mammal
Pet supply Mesh Fence Wire fencing Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
Love it!!

Maybe you could put a big PVC pipe into the feeder that comes up and out of the IBC frame? That way you could just dump food in it from the outside. You could even put a cap on the PVC pipe to keep things like rain and bugs out. Just an idea. Hope that wasn't too confusing let me know if you need me to explain it better.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
But, if there was a way to make a trap door right there behind the feeder, to be able to open and close it, would be ideal.
Close up and description of size of that section helped. Cut out the welded wire of that square above the feeder, refasten the ends of welded wire with JB Weld to the metal frames surrounding it. Cut a square of hardware cloth, plywood, heavy plastic, etc. about 2 1/2" - 3" wider than the opening. Attach the top part onto the metal frame cross beam, with zip tie or medium weight wire (with a little slack) in 3 or 4 places, it will act as a hinge. Depending on the material used, the bottom fastener might need to be some type of wire that could be closed by a double twist. I don't know whether JB Weld would be strong enough to apply some type of metal fastener or not. Would appreciate seeing what you come up with when it's finished.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts