The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. What defines a creep feed? Is it just a grain mix fed in a creep feeder away from the adults or is it a special mix? Also, when should kids start eating grain? A few are nibbling, but I don't think most are, the oldest in the group are about 3 weeks old. I've been changing it out every day so it stays fresh, is there something I should be doing to get them to eat it? It's a 16% protein custom mix of all whole grains, (oats, peas, black oil sunflowers, molasses, and calcium carbonate)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Creep feeding is just providing feed in a feeder that the kids can access away from the adults.
I feed mine calf starter.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I would say creep feed is also defined by having it available free choice.

Some folks like to use feed with a coccidiastat in it, but that's totally up to you.

It sounds like your kids know it is there and they will definitely start eating more and more in the next few weeks. At 2-3 weeks they just nibble here and there as you have observed. I don't think you need to do anything at all :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Not a dumb question at all! A good handful of people use it for different things all the time. But a true creep feeder is a feeder that only allows kids into it and has free choice feed.
Every kid is different. I think part of why some jump on grain faster then others has to do with how much milk the dam has or even how close of a eye their dam keeps on them. I had one kid I sold at 3 months old, she never went into the creep feeder, if her mom didn’t have eyes on her at all times she went insane looking and calling for her. But for the most part I don’t really see much activity until they are about 4 weeks old. So just keep doing what your doing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts