The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a crippled boer buck. I am kind of new to the business and I can't tell what is wrong with him. His hooves are fine, but his front legs he keeps stiff when he walks. He has lost a lot of weight. Please, does anyone know what is wrong with him. If the problem is incurable how much should I try to sell him for? He is registered 94% solid red with white spots on belly. All help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
He needs to go to a vet. Honestly, I wouldn't sell him like that. You wouldn't get anything for him. Even at the sale barn he wouldn't bring anything, not to mention, it is an ethics issue. You don't want the reputation of bringing unhealthy animals anywhere.
This is one of the hard parts of having goats. You have to be responsible and know when it is time to bring in a vet. This would be one of those times.
I would use fortified b complex at 1 mL per 20 lbs, probios for rumen support, and banamine for pain until I could get him in somewhere.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,914 Posts
The first things I think of are CAE, and something that I think is called infectious arthritis, which can sometimes happen when a buck is bred to a doe with a uterine infection.
Has he been tested for CAE?
I think a vet is a good idea, especially if you think it is an emergency, but even so you should also do research yourself since many vets don't know a whole lot about goat diseases.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked it up and it seems like he does have cae because he had the symptoms. It said just about all you can do is give them aspirin. Is this saying the aspirin we take? If so how do you feed it to him?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Yes, adult asprin dosage for goats, per Karen, is 100mg/kg. You'll have to do the conversion...I'm too old...lol. Anyway, she says she may give "30 tablets, crushed and mixed with water" syringe fed. Do a search to verify this first...or you can give banamine, get it from your vet.

That said. You do not want cae in your herd. If you haven't tested the goats, I would. I guess it's less of a concern for "meat producers"...I don't know why...but...as a "dairy" person...I would cull a cae positive goat.

Did you purchase all you goats from one breeder? I would contact him and ask if they have cae in their herd. If they don't test, I would have them tested and then you will know how to proceed. I forget the % of positive goats that show clinical symptoms...someone else will give us that info. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
oh please get your herd tested!! if he is cae positive and the only one you will be lucky, and i would quietly put him down. i just have no room for diseased critters. it is hard enough with healthy ones.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,914 Posts
Moocowman, if you suspect CAE you probably want to get all your goats tested so you know where you stand, and then move on from there. FYI, CAE is a very undesirable disease, but not very contagious except through colostrum and milk.

@Goatgirl, CAE testing is something like $6.30 per test through WADDL. There is also an accession fee of $10, no matter how many samples you send in.
Pavlab is a little cheaper ($6 per test), and there is no accession fee, but they are less professional. Someone on here said that in the past they have given some false readings too.
There's also Biotracking, and your state lab may do CAE tests too.
Add on the cost of shipping, and an ice pack if required by the lab you choose.

But a vet is going to be more expensive unless you have just one or two goats.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
go with waddl. we use them all the time. if you have his mother that will be where he got cae. which means any siblings and grandmothers as well. good luck

·
379 Posts
Sorry, meant to add that I think having the testing on your goat is very important. People have given you great advise.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sorry for The questions. But someone said parent/siblings would have it. So does that mean its only transferable by birth or if I put let's say my new does and they had it and my old does without it had it could my old ones get it to?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts