The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to upload an 18 second mp4 video to show you. We're had this kid a week. The seller told us he thought the kid got injured bring loaded, but it's been 7 days. No change. He will not put ANY weight on it. No infection. Hoof is not overgrown.

Thoughts?

Is it possible to upload a little video? How do I do it?

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I tried to upload an 18 second mp4 video to show you. We're had this kid a week. The seller told us he thought the kid got injured bring loaded, but it's been 7 days. No change. He will not put ANY weight on it. No infection. Hoof is not overgrown.

Thoughts?

Is it possible to upload a little video? How do I do it?
You can upload a video to youtube and paste the link to it here. And. Jerk seller lettin an injured kid go to a new home! Sorry sorry person!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
If you palpate it does he show signs of pain? Start at the hoof/ankle and go all the way to the top of his hip. I would give some Replamin, as well. Please let us all know if he shows signs of pain when palpated, this will help a lot to determine things.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you palpate it does he show signs of pain? Start at the hoof/ankle and go all the way to the top of his hip. I would give some Replamin, as well. Please let us all know if he shows signs of pain when palpated, this will help a lot to determine things.
I felt up his leg from hip to hock. He did not cry out, but he would try to pull it away. He does use that leg to scratch himself, so I think it works from the hip...

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Poor little guy! For future reference, if you see something like this, you can splint the leg and stabilize it yourself so it has a better chance of healing properly. When it flops around like that, it prevents the body from doing its own work of healing. Goats this age have a remarkable ability to recover from these types of injuries, often without any sign they were ever hurt, but they need proper supportive care. I'm glad you've found a vet to help out, especially since it's now been a week. I always recommend getting a vet involved to help set broken bones, but when you can't get a vet there is still a lot you can do by yourself. I think all of us who have goats have realized we need to do a lot of vet work ourselves because finding vets who work on goats can be quite difficult sometimes. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any luck, little black kid?
So...we just got back from the vet a few hours ago. BOTH kids had hoof rot that led to an abscessed hoof. That came from the breeder. Period. Our barn is very clean and dry and we are in there 3 times a day cleaning and working and doing. I had checked the little black kid myself numerous times, but when the vet lifted and started checking out his lamed leg and pressed around puss came squirting out to our shock (the heel on one side was actually swollen--but nothing else is)--in not just the one leg, but the other rear hoof as well (although not as bad, but getting there...way up in the middle of the hoof). In my inexperience I didn't separate the toes enough. So... they both were given anti-inflamatories with a little pain med and then penicillin which we will continue for 2 more days.

Nothing broken thank heavens.

I am REALLY upset that these goats hooves were not taken better care of. Hard lesson learned about purchasing. Nothing will ever set foot on this farm again that hasn't been trimmed, etc. We will not accept injured animals either (although they are in a better place, the vet bill hurt) So mad at myself.

The bill wasn't astronomical and we have a vet I really liked. She was very patient and taught us a lot. One thing I did learn is that we were doing at least one thing right: we are ALL about being clean and sanitary and as we were talking to her she was relieved the goats are in better hands.

Thank you all for your help! My gut said go to the vet, and I glad we did. VERY relieved the little black goat will be okay here soon. We have officially named him "Angel Boy" cause that's what I kept calling him was Mama's little "Angel".

Now we're off to try and trim some hooves!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The seller should be ashamed of themselves. :(

That is a break, you can see it tweaking out very badly.
The kid needs a vet, xrays and a cast to support that hock area or surgery.
If it were, for sure that kid would have been going back. Hard lesson learned for us... as it was, I'm upset he was suffering for so long. That seller should have known better as he's been selling goats for 20 years. He just told us that the black one was bruised and the other "stepped on something". Vet found ZERO evidence of that. Hoof rot gone to abscess.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts