The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we decided to clean up Lebron, first we shaved him with a #10 blade on his body and legs and then his face with a #30. He wasn't at all happy with this.
After an hour or so of him jumping and kicking he was finally done with his new hair cut. Then we decided to try to get a good photo of him standing, keep in mind i have never washed, nor groomed a goat much less tried to get one to stand still in a certain position to have a picture taken. Harsh and honest criticism of the goat and myself is welcome, after years in the military i can take brutally honest criticism without getting my feelings hurt.

Now presenting the clean and clipped NC Promisedland Sharp Le Bron...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Wow! What a nice guy! His rump is fairly level, maybe a tad short. He has an awesome uphill stance. Maybe a little weak in the chine. Brisket is good. The one thing he is really lacking in is body capacity. How old is he? If he is young, that might come with age... Toes and legs look pretty good, but a little bit more rear leg angulation wouldn't hurt. His neck is nice and long, I like that.

I quite like him! :)

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yes he is young just over a year and a half. His angularity may be due to me not getting him positioned correctly or he could just have bad angularity, again im new to all this and it was literally the first time trying to get a goat posted up. Basically just trying to copy pictures of goats i have seen posted up.

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to improve his angularity would i have him squat a bit more and pull him forward some? Or is that something that comes naturally and really cant do anything about?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Both. You can make them appear more angular by pinching their spine towards the back, and that will make them squat. That makes them look longer, more uphill, their rump better, and legs more angular. Of course, that's not their natural self, either.

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So would this goat be considered show quality? I would like to get into showing if there are ever any shows nearby.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
There is a very good chance he would do well. Might want to see if body capacity improves at all though, he is really lacking in that area... It is also a challenge to find shows that will allow bucks in.

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh ok, by body capacity do you mean he needs to put on some more pounds, get a little rounder? Right now hes right at 50 lbs at a year and half old. He was also recently bred to our doe and if i cant find any shows that will let bucks in maybe down the road i can show one of his daughters...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Oh ok, by body capacity do you mean he needs to put on some more pounds, get a little rounder? Right now hes right at 50 lbs at a year and half old. He was also recently bred to our doe and if i cant find any shows that will let bucks in maybe down the road i can show one of his daughters...
50 lbs for a yearling would be light IMO. And at 18 months, I would put more weight on him. But body capacity is their 'barrel'. Not weight, but how much rumen and kids if they are does can fit. For example, check out this Nigerian Dwarf. He's got great body capacity. See how big his barrel is?

http://www.kwfarms.com/twincreekssparknthenite.htm

and this guy, too:

http://www.kwfarms.com/camannactbluebuckeroo.htm

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok now i see, the only time our guy looks like that is after munching a ton of hay or browse. His belly gets that nice full round look then later it goes back down.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yup that's his rumen. In the morning, it's smaller, then at the end of the day it's bigger, right? Ideally, you would want his body capacity large like that all the time :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts