The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my does are not set up but these are the best pictures I could get by myself

So first of all is Luna. She does not have the best udder attachments and has a steep rump I know those are the things bad about her. I do have an udder pic that was 10 days before she kidded triplets and I do have one after all her kids had sold and it was right before I had milked her. She also has small teats which makes it hard to milk but she doesn’t mind being milked and hardly kicks.

View attachment 213427

FF udder ten days before kidding

View attachment 213428

Before I milked her

View attachment 213429

Next is Libby. She also has very poor attachments on the udder and her teats point out.. but she has pretty nice sized teats for milking. I do not have a pic of her udder and she is almost dried up..She also I think as a steep rump.

Goat Plant Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

Next is Zuri. I also do not have a pic of her udder when it was full but her udder is ok all tho it does have poor attachments.. and her teats are also a bit small. I also think she has a steep rump..

Goat Working animal Terrestrial animal Snout Livestock

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,678 Posts
Here's my critique for Luna.

Body conformation:

Pros:
Straight chine
Strong pasterns
Good body length
Nice body depth for her age
Neck blends nicely into shoulders
Shoulders look nice and tight
Legs placed square under shoulders
Nice brisket extension
Long rump
Legs/feet don't toe out
Good rear leg angulation

Cons:
Steeper rump then I like

As for her udder, I'm not a fan. She has really weak attachments, and with FF udders, you really want to have strong, tight attachments since those will NOT improve with time, instead they usually worsen. Her teats are also very small and they are placed way too far apart. She does have nice medial for an FF, but since her attachments are so weak that doesn't count for much.

Overall, Luna has really nice body conformation, but her udder isn't very great.

Working on critiquing Libby....

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Libby:

Pros:
Straight chine
Strong pasterns
Good body length
Neck blends nicely into shoulders (could be smoother though)
Nice brisket extension
Long rump
Legs/feet don't toe out
Good rear leg angulation

Cons:
Steep rump

Zuri:

Pros:
Strong pasterns
Good body length
Neck blends nicely into shoulders
Nice brisket extension
Legs/feet don't toe out
Good rear leg angulation

Cons:
Steep, short rump
Chine might be a touch weak, but could just be the picture.

Overall, I think your does have nice body conformation, but are really lacking in the udder compartment. When choosing a buck, I would definitely make sure his dam's and sire's dam's udders look NICE and have very high, strong attachments.

Hope this was helpful and was the kind of feedback you were looking/hoping for! 🥰

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Zoey:

Pros:
Pasterns (could be a bit stronger, but not bad)
Good body length
Legs/feet don't toe out

Cons:
Steep, short rump
Weak chine
Roached lion
Front legs placed too far forward
Lacks brisket
Posty rear legs

Since Zoey is still young their is a really good chance she'll change more as she grows so take this critique lightly. I have a yearling doe that is has leveled out very nicely as she continued to age. At Zoey's age, Lucy also had a very wavy topline, but now that she is almost a year old, it is much straighter and level. 😉

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You're welcome! I forgot to mention that some of the things I listed under the Pro section, might not be up to "show standers", but I definitely didn't think that they were bad/weak enough to list under the Con section. 😉

1 - 20 of 21 Posts