The Goat Spot Forum banner

Critique my buck

3K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Hounddog23 
#1 ·
He just turned a year my first registered buck he is polled and blue eyed. Hes a sweetheart. Thoughts on his body conformation sorry hes not shaved best pic i could get with no help.
Dog breed Working animal Terrestrial animal Grass Goat

Plant Goat Dog breed Working animal Sheep

Plant Working animal Dog breed Goat Grass

See less See more
#2 ·
What a handsome boy! It's a little hard to critique goats that are not shaved or set up, but I'll give a try!

Pros:
  • Good blending through neck and withers
  • I really like his head shape/size, and neck (length)
  • Front legs are well placed under shoulders (could be a touch farther back though)
  • Nice brisket extension
  • Flat, level brisket (it's not slanted up)
  • Great body depth
  • Good rear leg angulation
  • Level topline (strong chine and loin)

Cons:
  • Short, steep rump
  • Lack of body length

What I can't judge from these pictures:
  • Pasterns
  • Width

Hope this helps!

#14 ·
Great job! Just keep on practicing!

I really like how he's maturing!! I think he looks longer now. I can see his pasterns better in these pictures and I think they look great. I like his chest width and his feet don't toe-out. His rear legs do look postier (not sure if that's a word lol) now though. Overall, I think his conformation is NICE and I can't wait to see what he looks like once he's mature! 😀

#22 ·
Please take front and back pics .. this will help to see width and escutcheon. From what I see I like that he is gaining some length and depth and body capacity. He has a decent length to his neck and rump. I would like to see his rump not as steep, his front legs set more squarely under the shoulder. He does tend to dip in the chine and is back cannons are not as straight as I would like, they tend to bow out from side profile. He does look pretty nice from thurl to thurl , it’s hard without the front and rear views.

#23 ·
Please take front and back pics .. this will help to see width and escutcheon. From what I see I like that he is gaining some length and depth and body capacity. He has a decent length to his neck and rump. I would like to see his rump not as steep, his front legs set more squarely under the shoulder. He does tend to dip in the chine and is back cannons are not as straight as I would like, they tend to bow out from side profile. He does look pretty nice from thurl to thurl , it’s hard without the front and rear views.

#24 ·
I am working on that slowly.. Lol im doin this without help and he is not very good at standing yet but as soon as i can get better pictures i sure will will and the front to back pics.. those are the hardest at the moment lol 😆 hes good at leading just never happy about posing..standing.. me repositioning him but i have been working with him as much as i can to get him there. Thanks for the input :) goatblessing ......honestly i have a friend coming over in a few days i might get her to be photographer for me lol my boyfriend isnt much help in that department lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.