3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my wethers... They're yearlings... Again, sorry for the bad pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I'm just going to do the first one :D Make Sarah do the other :lol:
I assume Dairy wethers are supposed to be dairy looking, but not overly feminine or masculine?

Pros:
Strong topline
Strength in chine
Length of rump
Extension of brisket
Blends fairly well throughout
Does not appear to toe in nor out
Straight front legs
Length of body
Body capacity?
Spring of rib?
Depth throughout barrel
Dairy, yet wetherish(HA!)

Cons:
Steep rump
Neck could be longer
A bit to much angle in rear legs
Chest floor could blend better into rib area?

Okay, I like him :D And Lacie isn't on right now so I need Sarah over here!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think you did pretty good. Except I think maybe his back legs are a little posty, not angled, though maybe that's what you meant, idk, lol. And I think he could use a bit more brisket, but it's not bad.

He definitely could stand to walk uphill more, but other wise, I think he's really nice. :)
Is this BB, Sarah? Or Japan? Lol, do you have a doe? Can't remember.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I think you did pretty good. Except I think maybe his back legs are a little posty, not angled, though maybe that's what you meant, idk, lol. And I think he could use a bit more brisket, but it's not bad.
Yes, That's what I meant, hard for me to find the correct words. :D

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

He definitely could stand to walk uphill more, but other wise, I think he's really nice. :)
Is this BB, Sarah? Or Japan? Lol, do you have a doe? Can't remember.
He's Japan... The black ones Ozzie, and yes I had a doe, that's BB

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Why judge dairy wethers? Arent they generally used as pets only? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just curious. With boer wethers we judge carcass ability but it doesnt look like you guys are?

Sorry- I'm not good with dairy lol

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why judge dairy wethers? Arent they generally used as pets only? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just curious. With boer wethers we judge carcass ability but it doesnt look like you guys are?

Sorry- I'm not good with dairy lol
Some fairs judge them- they're basically judged like bucks. They are used for pets but that doesn't mean anything. I don't exactly know how to explain the point in trying to get across, sorry!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think we're all wanting to learn more about dairy goat conformation, and it's a good way to practice, that's all. :)
IK if you know Little-Bits-and-Pieces, but she's a goat judge, and she comes and tells us how good we did usually when we try to judge. ;) It's just for fun really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts