The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some opinions on our buck. I'm looking to do some upgrading and want to improve in some of our weak areas. This buck is 15 months old and a proven breeder so far producing better than himself.

ForumRunner_20130826_213542.jpg

ForumRunner_20130826_213611.jpg

ForumRunner_20130826_213634.jpg

He is registered and I had originally thought about showing him but I think he may be passed his prime for breed shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whether means market...or meat....you cant eat the head and you cant eat pigment.

On that note, he looks really long...id like to see a pic where he isnt angled in such an extreme manner to get a better idea. Looks to have a good amount of leg/hip but still wouldnt mind another normal pic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll see if I can get some help this evening and take a normal pic. I tried doing it with him loose and he wouldn't corporate. I initially bought him as a show prospect but haven't been able to get him into the condition I think he needs to be in. I'm at cross roads now with our program as I would like to produce some show animals as well as market. I'm just not sure if he fits the bill for either at the moment.

I'll post some pics of his first kid crop later.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I like him! But again not a true wether style buck- yes has the lenfth, dimension and muscle to add to his power. But he's kind of loose hided and blocky in shoulder to be considered wether style.

I still like him though and would use him.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I like him! But again not a true wether style buck- yes has the lenfth, dimension and muscle to add to his power. But he's kind of loose hided and blocky in shoulder to be considered wether style. .
I respect your opinion on the subject, Dani. Why don't the wether people want more shoulder? It seems like a big source of meat on a goat.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a powerful, blocky shoulder. I like them. Basically its about what is pretty. A bold shoulder is masculine so wether people generally don't like it. At the same time they still want a lot of muscle and expression in the shoulder but with out the bulk and large point. I don't understand it just like I don't understand the desire for slow growth rates in wethers. Its not helpful to the market so why breed for those moderaye frame sizes and slow growth? Its all for the show aspect and as much as I love showing wethers, I don't understand a lot of the very in depth "texas wether" stuff. The reality is hide is cosmetic- who cares if its loose or tight. A good judge can see expression either way. And the shoulder is a huge, big money cut so why downsize it for a cosemetic reason?

Personally I prefer a meat wagon type of goat either way you go. True, I prefer a very long, level and even more tubular type wether than breeding stock . However they should never be lacking in product

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Good stuff, Dani, thank you. I don't have much interest in arguing what is better, I would just like to know what to look for. They are trying to get a market wether program going up here in the NW. I'd like to single out a doe or two of mine to breed to a wether buck in the future if it looks like there might be some money in it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Good stuff, Dani, thank you. I don't have much interest in arguing what is better, I would just like to know what to look for. They are trying to get a market wether program going up here in the NW. I'd like to single out a doe or two of mine to breed to a wether buck in the future if it looks like there might be some money in it.
No problem!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Unless "wether buck" is a term I'm not familiar with, I don't think you'll be getting any kids from that breeding! :lol:
Lol!!!! Wether buck is just a way of saying a buck that is bred specifically for producing show wethers.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I still like him. Too many wrinkles for wether buck but he's pretty to me. I would use him on my does

1 - 20 of 23 Posts