Critique this Boer buckling please

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by crocee, Jan 1, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Hes a little small for 6 months at 70lbs( me trying to hold him on the bathroom scale) but he was a bottle baby. He would not cooperate for pictures but I can try again if needed. Hes a short stocky little guy with grand sire of Show Me Boers Portfollio and great grand sires of Agnew's Collateral Damage and Hardyred Mahogany on paternal side. Gatwood farms Turbo on maternal side. Gatwood uses SA semen so that's as far as I can get.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It doesn't seem like hes grown much since he was 3 1/2 months old though. Only a 20lb gain in 2 1/2 months

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Critique this buckling please

well he is handsome -- but i dont know about the weight gain thing. will let those who raise boers give you input

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    hmmm..Im no expert by any means, but he could use a little more width between his front legs. Has he been wormed at all? The reason I ask is cause he has a chunky pot belley there but it might be from browse?

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    He was last wormed in October. He had just gotten his feed before the pictures but hes always got a chunky belly. I haven't done a recent fecal on him but I can do one tomorrow afternoon just to make sure.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I dont want to offend here but I probably wouldnt use him as a buck.

While I admire his muscle ('chunkiness') and his bucky head, he seems to lack length and stretch. He does also appear a little small for his age.

Probably good for a terminal type buck (breeding for meat) but I'm not so sure about using him to breed seedstock.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    No offense taken. I want honest opinions here. I will probably keep him for a little while longer since he is our baby and see if he gets better with age. IF he doesn't improve I will sell him. Maybe hes just a slow grower.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I agree he is probably a slow grower - and that in itself is a negative for me. Being a meat breed I want animals that grow quickly - so that when I am producing animals for slaughter I can turn them off quickly and get that money as soon as possible, feeding them for the shortest period of time.

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Well he is a stocky boy and has a pretty head on him.

One thing I noticed is he does look like he was stunted. That pot belly and flat horns are tell tale signs. Definitely pull a fecal on him.

Its hard to tell much about him since he's scrunching up in those pictures. He seems like his length and width wouldn't be too bad if would stand right.

I'd just give him some more time to see if his growth will pick up.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    There is a reason behind the flat horns, He was disbudded badly. The procedure did not take so his horns grew flat. I have mixed up the fecal solution so it will be ready tomorrow. I think my neighbor will help me with the pictures since he wouldn't cooperate with DH. My neighbor has shown goats for many years so he knows what hes doing.

Keep the opinions coming and please explain what your commenting on so I can understand what your seeing.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    he is short bodied and his rump is kinda short..

he is def stunted though.. maybe copper, bose, vit a, vit e, and b12??

i would give him more time..

i do agree that he could be a great terminal sire

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK If I keep him as a terminal buck should I get a Registered doe to breed him to or will unregistered do for this?

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    OK (drawing in breath) If he doesnt have the width up front AND behind to begin with, he's not gonna get it later.
    Sure he might grow into a fine young buck, but in my limited knowledge he doesnt have it. He may have the genetics to pass on, but people want a powerful muscular buck with width depth & length. And first impressions are everything. Not promises of genetics.
    He IS standing a little funny...his front assembly looks out of whack in the last two pics. :shades:

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    unreg'd is fine

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK, I have not decided what I will do with him as of yet but I have a few more questions regarding breeding him. IF I get a registered doe is it possible he can pass on the genetics he should have without being stunted?

15. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Him being stunted is just a result of environment. It is still possible for him to produce good kids if his genetic combination has worked for the breeder before.

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK then I may try it both ways. Get a good registered doe for genetics trial and a non registered doe for meat trial.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thats not a bad idea! :greengrin:

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    What should be improved in this little guy. I don't know if you could imagine he wasn't stunted furthermore can stunted goats be reversed?

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You know in my opinion...he looks like he may be taking a pee... is why he is standing funny?
    As for the growth...bottle babies are always small and will never achieve maximum growth....That buck looks pretty darn good in my opinion....for being a bottle baby.... :shades:
    As for his genetics....GENETICS is were the champions come from.....and I would give this buck a chance to breed some... fine does ....you may be surprised on what he may produce.... :shrug:
    He won't be as big ,but he looks like he has the muscling and his butt area looks big to me....He has one of his front legs back so I can't tell if his is wider than what he looks.....He may be longer than you think if he would stand correctly...LOL....
    If you buy a FB boer doe get one that has more of what your little buck may be lacking...the doe may put it onto the offspring.....
    Sorry but excellent genetics is where champions come from.....even if the buck or doe is stunted because of being a bottle fed kid.....or caused by an illness...ect... will not stop all potential in that animal.....I'd give that buck more credit than that..... :shades:

What kinds of wormers did you use?
    For his gut if he isn't wormy..
    Give him baking soda free choice ,, put some down his throat... he may have a little bloating...

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    He does have some highly prized lines in his pedigree and hes a great little buck. Hes standing funny because he thinks hes in rut. I can't tell you how many pictures I couldn't post because he was showing "it" off. I kept telling him to sheath it so I could get a decent picture. He also didn't like the leash and DH wasn't helping matters.