The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my cross something doe. I'm guessing she's between 2-3 years old. Critique on her please. Also, what breed(s) do you think she is?

Attachments

· Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm pretty new to goats, but I'll hazard that she has Saanen and Nubian in her. I will also say that she runs "downhill" rather than up, and has a steep rump; hasn't a whole lot of brisket, and might want to be a little more barrelly in the ribs; but she looks to be a nice, alert girl, and I wouldn't write her off by any means! She may well prove to be a good milker; and if bred to a buck who is more dairy in character, you could have nice kids. My opinion.

· Super Moderator
16,973 Posts
She looks like my Nubian kiko. She or my girl isn't one that you would pick out of a group

and say 'omg that's the nicest goat I ever saw' but I cross my girl to a Boer and I get top $ for her kids. They are blocky and grow fast. I'm no good at pin pointing what's good or bad but I wouldn't take any negative to heart because if she's like mine you'll love her kids ;)

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She looks like my Nubian kiko. She or my girl isn't one that you would pick out of a group

and say 'omg that's the nicest goat I ever saw' but I cross my girl to a Boer and I get top $ for her kids. They are blocky and grow fast. I'm no good at pin pointing what's good or bad but I wouldn't take any negative to heart because if she's like mine you'll love her kids ;)
Yes, I do love her kids!

Also, what are some more thoughts on her?

· Registered
5,528 Posts
I'm no expert, but here's what I see: :)

PROS:

Long neck, but could be longer
Looks to have a correct bite
Nicely blended throughout
Decent capacity, could use a bit more
Long rump
Really wide through the hips and pins, I like that about her
Decent spring of rib
Feminine head
Strong chine
Pasterns look okay
Pretty good depth of body, could have a tad more, but pretty nice

CONS:

Lacks brisket
Toes out
Very downhill (hips higher than withers)
Back legs are a bit posty
Lacks power in front end assembly
Could use a bit more dairy character
A little short-bodied

I can't judge her udder or escutcheon area, would need pics from the back for that. ;)
I feel like I'm missing something.. :ponder: If I think of it, I'll come back. ;)
She's not bad. :)

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try get pics of her udder/escutcheon area after she freshens in April...SO looking forward to seeing her kids!
P.S. She is a bit cow-hocked. Hocks used to almost touch. That got WAY better once I started giving her minerals. They are still a wee tad wrong, though.

· Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
It's not really bad just looks funny, with dairy goats you do want the rump to nearly level in all directions. meat goats they seem to not mind as much as I think it must allow for a little more meat in the rump. Having a really steep rump can make it harder for them to kid.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
I think she's a Kiko, maybe crossed. They tend to have more forward ears like that instead of the Nubians which are longer and more down. People tend to jump to Saanen with white/cream goats, but both Kiko and Nubians carry that color.

If you have pictures of her udder I can make a good guess as to whether there's any dairy blood in her or not.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just thought I'ld share...have absolutely NO IDEA how she got it on, but she did.:laugh:
It's attached under her jaw again.

Oh, yeh, I've been looking for a pic of her udder, ( I KNOW I've got one somewhere!) and so far it's evaded me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.