The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had goats for a few years now, but I admit I still need to learn more about goat conformation....so, let me know about these ones. I hope the pictures are clear enough!
First is the bratty Misty (aprox 3.5yrs), then Pumpernickel 9mo, and finally uncooperative Delilah (2.5yo).

Be as critical as you wish! I know they have many faults in their conformation and I want to learn more about how to pick out well built goats in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
ok first misty. i dont like her rear legs i like her dairy head and neck and her rump, i wish she was stronger in the chine. she is nice and wide from the back and her medial ligament appears strong.
pumpernickel. dont like the legs. there is so much hair it is hard to tell, but neck does not appear to blend well to the body compare to misty who's neck does blend well. very short bodied. just what i would call a commitee goat sort of like congress nobody can agree on anything.
i like delilah good legs compare to misty see the difference in the curve? nice head and neck. i would like to flatten the rump(put misty's rump on her) and strenghthen the chine. overall very correct.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your input, enchantedgoats!!
Yes, I thought Pumpernickel was quite short bodied. I really am not surprised though--he's 3/4 backyard bred pygmy goat! Sorry about his hair!!

Any one else?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Delilah for sure and possibly Pumpernickel have a strong Pygmy component. Since Pygmies are not dairy goats the conformation is different. Judged by the new Pygmy standard Delilah has relatively good conformation and Pumpernickel has fewer flaws. Judged by dairy standards both leave a lot to be desired.

Here is a picture of a Grand Champion Pygmy doe who conforms to the new, more delicate standard. See how favorably Delilah compares to her?

Edit: Misty looks better too, judged by a Pygmy standard, though I didn't realize it til I saw her next to the Pygmy doe.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts