The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has 5 goats, and they live next to my side and back yard. I am surrounded on two sides by these goats and my house is about 6 feet from the property line.

In January, there was only one pair and they had two kids (one of which survived).

In March I heard awful screaming and found the baby goat hanging from his neck by a frayed rope while slipping off a tire. I rescued him and he seemed ok. I have since named him Gimpy.

In June, they had two more baby goats. Gimpy was rejected by his mother and there was a lot of head bucking going on. I didn't see the actual incident, but his neck was badly injured about two weeks ago. He was in a lot of pain and his head was just hanging. His neck is twisted.

I have been giving him special attention as he is shunned by the other goats. Aside from the hay provided by my neighbor, I feed him two large bowls of alfalfa each day and an apple and he is getting stronger, but I am afraid his neck will not heal properly. He can hold his head up somewhat and seems to be functioning in other ways like a normal goat. Any suggestions?

I am considering moving and taking Gimpy with me to be my pet goat as we are now bonded. I would attach a picture if I could figure out how.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
At this point, I would get him in your care. He really needs to be looked at by a vet. It sounds like you are really helping him and that is great that you want to. But first thing I would do is get him on your own property.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
If he injured his neck and had no medical attention it could fuse in that condition, he may need messages to help him along, or a steroid for swelling..I good vet should be able to xray his neck and give you the answers you will need to provide him with the best care.....as a pet...as long as he is not suffering, he is eating and drinking...peeing and pooping berries...I have seen goat live along full life...even some with a bit of assistance. If you take him in as a pet you will need to have him banded as a wether..
here is a touching story of one such goat ...her name was BabyGirl
http://goat-link.com/GoatladysGoats/BabyGirl/

Apples are a nice treat but giving too much can upset his rumen..the hay and alfalfa is perfect..if you give apple, be sure its a small thin slice...

best wishes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gimpy has a vet appointment at 4:00. I have to drive him there in the back of my Ford Edge. My neighbor has given Gimpy to me. He says I can do whatever I want. Which I believe includes creating a separate pen for him.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
great news...best wishes!!!

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Thank you for sharing baby girls diary she is amazing
your welcome. Goat lady helped me through my first goat polio case several years ago..she stayed on the phone with me way into the night,...she has a huge heart for goats..Baby Girl was her special child... It was sad to hear of her passing but she lived a long life.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
That is wonderful. I hope he is fine. I know he will have a wonderful loving home now. Please let us know what the vet says. :)

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes, please keep us posted!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news! Gimpy's neck is not broken. Vet said torn ligaments and prescribed muscle relaxant and recommended massage. My other neighbor is a masseuse and has volunteered to massage him. I will take lessons.

Gimpy is in the back yard tonight. It is his first night alone. The other goats are on the other side of the fence and ignored Gimpy's cries. I stayed with him until he quieted down. He stuffed himself into the little box of hay I put down for him. He looked so cute. He is wearing my dog's "Toronto Blue Jay's" collar.

He will make a fine pet.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Awe...such a sweet story...Im glad he will be fine. Sounds like he is in a great new home. Now to bake your nieghbors brownies ...a batch for the one for giving Gimpy to you and the other who will do the messages :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts