Crosses?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by speeddemon, Jun 24, 2010.

1. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Been a while since I've posted. My Boer doe that I got pregnant with severe lameness and weight problems (she was emaciated looking), has since put on weight and is walking/running wonderfully! Her two kids are doing very well.

I was wondering about the benefits/drawbacks of crossbreeding goats? I have a friend that has a saanen buck and a nubian and was considering breeding them to my boer doe for a more dual purpose goat.

Does anyone have experiences with a saanen X boer or a nubian X boer? Experiences, pictures, and opinions welcome!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    those crosses are fairly common. Does create dual purpose goat but you never know what kind of udder they will get until you freshen those crosses. Sometimes they get the boer milking genetics (shorter lactation and less milk) or the dairy (longer lactation and more milk).

3. TnLFarm

TnLFarm New Member

May 28, 2010
    Boer nubian crosses are like the best type of goat in my opinion they have the height of the nubian and the meat of a boer. On our place we do a boer sire and a nubian doe

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    In the past I had nubian/boer crosses.... they were faster growers and where beautiful animals....I to...love that combo..... :wink: :thumb:

5. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Okay. I think I'll go with the nubian, then.

For future reference, what other breeds cross well on Boers?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    "Crossing with Saanen ...is another good cross for meat and dairy... :wink: