The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among other things, we had a bunch of Dorking hens, two Dorking roosters and a Welsommer hen. We had some success in getting the Dorkings to hatch a few of the eggs.It turned out that of the eight chicks, there were two Welsommer/Dorking roosters and two hens.

Dorking Rooster (not my pic)

Welsommer Rooster (also not my pic)

Welsommer/Dorking Rooster (This is my pic - I do have a camera)

I do like the colours of the crossed roosters. Both the crossed roosters were identical. You can see where the colours come from when you look at the pure bred roosters. Funny thing is that the crossed hens look identical to the pure Dorking. The only way I can tell now is that the Welsommer/Dorking hens lay light brown eggs. Dorkings lay white and Welsommer lay brown.

So this year we are tying to hatch some of the light brown eggs (fertilized by the Welsommer/Dorking rooster). I'm curious to see what the second generation of crosses will bring. We had two broodies sitting on 10 eggs, but they abandoned them after about 10 or 12 days. I now have another two broodies with about 8 eggs - plus whatever has been added. They are about half way though,so now I have my fingers cross.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a beautiful cross. Good luck. And definitely post pics when it’s hatching time.
Thanks. The broodies are still in the main coop, in nest boxes. When I looked in this morning, there were two other chickens on top of one of the broodies. I've seen them double up in nest boxes but this is the first time with three in one nest box.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been meaning to do an update for a few days. As I said before, I had two broodies sitting in my main coop. The eggs under one got very dirty and smelly. The other broody hatched one chick. We moved the hen, chick and remaining eggs to the "chick" coop. Hen stayed on the eggs like a good broody and I thought things were going well. Next day the coop reaked of a giant broody-poop. Not unexpected but when I wanted to clean it up, I could not find it. Turns out she didn't bother moving her butt off the eggs before her anal explosion. Same thing the next day. We waited a few more days, but no more chicks.

So after a total of 4 broody hens, well over 2 dozen eggs, we now have one chick. A little orangy ball of fluff. Looks very much like a Welsommer chick. A girl I think.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
So cute! That happened to us here, only one chick hatched. When mom abandoned it, it was on its own and became very very tame with goats and humans. I hope yours is a girl!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, the good news is that I have another broody chicken. Unfortunately, it seems she does not like the feel of lumpy eggs under her. The last few mornings I have found her sitting beside the cold eggs. Looks like I will have to put my "How to Raise Chickens" book back into the coop.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Oh no. She’s so close to getting it right. Maybe play some instructional videos for her.
I have read that chickens CAN actually learn from watching a screen.

Sorry you didn’t have anymore luck!
When mine tried, I got one chick, and the next time none. I think it was because I hadn’t turned the eggs while I stored them before putting them under her.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news is that Esmeralda (aka The Chick, Esy, Esmy) is alive and doing fine. This is our third year with chicks - well a chick - and we are still amazed how fast they grow. She is definitely looking more like a Welsummer than a Dorking.

They grow up so fast. <sniff>

In the meantime I have had two hens go broody but only for about 6 days, Another hen went broody 4 days ago. Last night we moved her into the broody RV - chicken tractor. This morning everything went like in the manual. She came out, had a giant poop, ate food, drank a bunch of water and went back to sit on her eggs. So if things continue to go well, Esy may have a few sibs. Fingers crossed again!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts