The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some boer goat does and I plan on getting some Kiko boer crosses for does. Then I plan on buying a Spanish buck and breed them all to him. But my question is, will a 3 way cross do good in the market? I have never had enough to sell at the sales barn. I also plan on keeping some of the doelings. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have had a big problem with worms lately, and I have heard they are more parasite resistant when they are crossed.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It's called hybrid vigor and it makes for a healthier, more illness/disease resistant, and stronger - for lack of a better word - animal all the way around. I have no experience with that 3-way cross but, I'm thinking that from what I've read about those 3 breeds, it should do good for you. You might want to call a few sale barns and see what they say.

·
2,203 Posts
It's very common in cattle. Mainly to improve:

Feet and legs
Fertility
Milk components
Longevity due to health relations (illness, worms, etc)
Weather tolerance

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
But my question is, will a 3 way cross do good in the market? !
It's going to depend on the market. At the livestock market close to me @ 90% of the goats are bought by one guy and as close as I can tell, he could care less what *kind* of goat they are. I've heard at some markets kids that are white with red heads sell much better.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am still worried about adding Spanish I there because not many people have Spanish goats, which makes me wonder if they aren't very good.?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If what I've read about Spanish goats is any indication, they are very good goats! I don't know it for a fact, but I suspect the biggest reason they are not more widespread is the popularity of the Boer breed and it would probably require a trip to Texas to acquire some.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My daughter has kiko buck for her Boers and he is very hardy and very few parasites. She has a daughter off if him and wants to sell her. I might buy her.

·
Registered
308 Posts
They have medium sized udders that produce enough milk for their kids but not much else. That is because they are wild and dont want to catch their udder on everything. But mixed with the proper dairy breed they should be resistant to many conditions as well as produce good meat and dairy products.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that is what I am hoping happens. But now the buck I was looking at sold!! There arent very many Spanish goats around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually I am in good luck I just located a guy about 2 hours from me, and he has 6 black Spanish goats to choose from! All out of registered parents , but not registered them selves! I might be able to get pictures of them and post them soon!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have another question. I found some half boer nubian doelings for sale, and are said to be bred to their fullblood boer buck. Are nubians a very hard breed?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts