Crud in goats ear

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by paulaclk, Sep 1, 2009.

1. paulaclk

paulaclk Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Hi,
    I am brand new to goat keeping. We got one yesterday who escaped our electric fence already and one today. Our year old goat has a lot of dried up looking crud in her ear. How can I clean it out??

Also our goat escaped our fence. We used 7 wires alternating hot and cold and 4000 volts (I think its volts) What else can we do? They are currently staying in our neighbors horse shed. We have thought about putting field fence around the electric....

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!!

Aas far as the "crud" goes, you can take a soft cloth and wipe it out, if it is oozy and crusty it might take a bit more than warm water to clean it. If she is shaking her head or scratching at it with her hind hoof, she may have ear mites.

The fence , especially electric, needs to be a taught boundary, get her on a non conductive leash and walk the fenceline with her, each time she attempts to go through the fence, let her touch it and if she bolts through it, bring her back in to the pasture the same way she went out. This may keep her in, if not the field fencing as a visual boundary will help.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A big welcome to you....happy to have you here... :wave:

I totally agree... with Liz...great advice..... :thumbup: :greengrin:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to the Goat Spot. So glad you re here with us.

What kind of goats did you get and where did you get them? Is it possible to ask the owner if they know anything about the ear trouble?

I would agree, take a damp towel and try to loosen the crud up so it can be wiped out. I have a dog that gets yeast infections in his ears all the time, drives me nuts, but I do us a Q tip to clean it out but I have to be very careful. Once you can clean it out and get the crusty out put a couple drops of Vet RX in the ears. That will really help.

We love pictures so when you can please post pictures of your goats.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    q-tip would be fine, but be careful not to push the crud further down or injure her eardrums.

congrats on the new goat!!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Also you have to be careful that she does not move and you jab the Q-tip in the ear is all. I would do a wet towel first and try to loosen it.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good advise already -- just want to say welcome :wave: