Crummy famacha woes..

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sfgwife, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    i have a two year old fb nigi wether.. bibbin. Bib ALWAYS has a crummy famacha... like should be on deaths door bad ok? I do bcomplex and red cell and he pinks up good and pretty quickly.... usually within three days. I send off fecals and worm him as needed which he does not need often at all. I JUST sent one last week to midamerica and he has zero worm load. ZERO! I KNOW it was his poop cause i picked everyone’s poop up myself by gettin them riled up and followin them all around lol. But his eyes are nearly white like his normal. Ugh! He eats, plays, goats like everyone else, never lays around like he has no energies. He gets pasture, forage, alfalfa pellet, good mix hay free choice, southern states weathershed mineral free choice. I do cdt yearly, as needed copper bolus and sel/vit e or bose, all the things. His coat looks great. I recently did true care zinc for everyone. What else can be causing this? Bee, crickie and the boys had zero also and jade (my bred doe had 5 tec stomach and whip) was all. Everyone else is all nice and nearly red but oh no not my Bib.... nearly white.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Maybe he isn't getting enough protein to build red blood cells. How much alfalfa does he get each day?

Could you post some photos of him?
    How old is he?

happybleats, MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.

3. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    89E82061-1492-4125-BA77-9D311BA1D4AB.jpeg 4A6FF51E-240D-44A8-BF48-4837A314CB91.jpeg

He will be two early april. He gets two cups of alfalfa pellet every day. And sometimes one more cup. The extra comes in when my doe in milk does not eat well on the stand and i give extra to everyone when i put her to bed.

In the pic he was not hunched. He and Ebbie were havin a starin contest. The cream you see on him is also just his coloring.. except for the mud. Ugh mud! Lol.

Ooooo! You made me think of somethin with the rbc thing.... we do have well water. But we also have a good softener and filtration system. Could that be binding the iron in him somehow?

I can get better pics of him tomorrow if you need me to.

Also even when he was younger (6mos and younger) and got 17% grain (half grain amd half alfalfa pellet) his famacha was crummy then as well.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Nigerian123 likes this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    This probably sounds like blasphemy, but I am not totally sold on FAMACHA scores. I think it is a good tool, for barber pole worms. But, if a goat acts totally healthy, fecal tests done periodically show no big worm load, copper is good, maybe pale is just how that goat always will be.

Iron binds with copper. So, if you have iron rich well water, you have to supplement copper. Then your goat shows a poor FAMACHA score, so that means low iron, give iron and now the copper is out of whack.

It can be a vicious circle trying to balance copper and iron!

5. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I would say maybe that is just his "normal" all goats are different. Maybe you can't base everything on this goat's FAMANCHA score. With everything you are describing he seems like a perfectly healthy goat. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it if he seems healthy. If you really wanted to maybe pulling blood and seeing if he is low in anything would give you some insight.

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  6. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Not blasphemy at all! Famacha is just that a tool. :). Our filter pulls most of the iron out of the water... i can tell when that needs changed and salt needs added to the softener because my tub, sink and toilet start to stain badly. And yea i have thought that maybe this is just him. But then i second guess myself too esp when everyone else is all dark. So i dunno. I mostly put this post up to see if there was maybe somethin i am missin. He is healthy and has always been fine just pale pale eyes.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I dont fret too much on him because he always seems just fine. His poops tell me when i need do a fecal on him and his coat and tail for his copper. Selenium well we are deficient so he gets it... nothin else on him tells me he needs that really. I just wonder if i am missin somethin for him sometimes. So i thought i would throw it out into the ether and see. :).

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If all else is normal, it is probably his normal. They don't always read the book.

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree! My goats won't read the book either, not on copper, kidding or anything! Their favorite pastime is making me look like a fool or worse, a lier! ;)

10. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Mine are the same way, half are very rosie and nice and then the other half are fairly pale but all are a nice weight, playful, nice looking pelleted stool. They have free choice hay, free choice alfalfa pellets, a sweet lix protein block and sweet lix meat maker loose mineral. They get bolused as needed. Their fecals have looked good but some of them always seem to have pale famachas.

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Handsome guy!!!
    since he seems to improve when given B complex and red cell, I think it's not his norm. His body is not making enough red blood cells for some reason. This can be caused by a few things, maybe needing copper or cobalt or higher protein as mentioned. Even some plants, but then you would see that in the others. It can be hard to nibble the cause down but sounds like you are working on it. If you already gave copper with no results, get a cobalt block and try that. It helped my goats here..can takes time to see results.

HMNS, MadHouse and SalteyLove like this.
  12. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Hey, just saw this sorry...My vet (the good one( not the idiot I'm dealing with right now while he's away) Has me give Red Cell every 4-6 weeks to counteract our well water (1cc per 10lbs) to Alastor because it was a constant anemia/pale eyelid battle with him. I've had bloodwork done 3 different times ($$$ugh) and this has been the only thing that seems to keep him balanced. It was a juggling act for awhile. Try giving him a drench once a month and see if it helps.

MadHouse, Sfgwife and SalteyLove like this.
  13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

He has been like this since he was born. He has been here all his life. :). And he has always gotten all the goat things he has needed. So it is just a puzzle mostly for me. Cause goin by his famacha he would already be ded long ago. As soon as i stop the b a d red cell he starts to pale.

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and happybleats like this.
  14. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I will try it and see for several months. :). A few days after i stop the b and red cell he starts to pale again though.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sometimes it's as simple and complicated as Genetics. : ) I would try cobalt..he may just need constant help there to keep it going.

16. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I have cobalt here too. :/. Forgot that in my initial post. And they also have a redmond salt block too. And selenium block. I guess i didnt think to add it cause i think of those as more mineral aside from the loose too.

His dam was always nice and pink unless she needed wormed. Not sure on his sire.

MadHouse, happybleats and GoofyGoat like this.
  17. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    How's Bibbin? Is he pinking back up?

18. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I have the plague. So i have not given him anything yet. But he is goating fine like normal. ;).

GoofyGoat likes this.
  19. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    OH NO!
    Feel better! I had the flu last week and it was horrible...
    Get better quickly

20. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Mine is just a nasty nasty cold. Today i think it is becomin a sinus inf and it is workin in my ears. Ugh! Dang doc didnt have any appts today and i SO do not wanna go to an urgent care. Hopefully my ears will be nice til monday and i can get in with my reg doc.

Iluvlilly! likes this.