The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a lot of freezing rain this past week. Thankfully ice storm from last week a lot of that did manage to melt before the storm came through yesterday. We didn't get hit as hard as they were predicting, thankfully. But downpouring freezing rain, changed over to sleet, and minor snow. I think we had more snow today but only had snow showers on forecast, and nothing was showing up on the radar, how weird is that?
I let everyone out to stretch their legs for a few minutes, and we all crunched around lol

There is no such thing as putting out a bag of shavings while they are in the barn lol. Really, any barn chores are impossible lol The paint doe that looks like she has a saddle on her back is constantly jumping on me, she follows me everywhere jumping at me, it's so funny. She is super sweet (Lilah)

My son's dog, Dokkabi was ready to play she is so funny, she loves the snow.
The babies had us laughing so hard this evening with their antics.

·
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aww thanks, I appreciate it :) I love coming on here and chatting with you all, and miss keeping up with everyone!
We got a little more snow last night, but it basically went around us, maybe an inch and a half? Our road looked to be in really good shape this morning so that was a relief.
A couple more days in the cold, then we bounce back to 40s/50s for the high. Which means everything melts and mud and swamp conditions return, yuck!

The new barn has really worked out well! It stays fairly warm in there, which means we'll have to work on getting insulation up to help keep it from being a complete oven this summer.

So today I locked the moms and babies out of the barn. There is a run in shelter up by the front that has a hay feeder & hay, I took them up there. Went to clean the barn, and was about done when here comes the 3 bottle babies in front of the barn.
Took them to the back of the barn and put them out, and about 5 seconds later they were back with a bonus kid tagging along.
Again, and next time they came around there was even more kids with them. BRATS!!! lol!
I'm blaming my daughters dapple headed bottle baby, he started it, I know he did lol!
So I had my daughter put them out for like the 5th time and ran over to try and get a video of their escape.

All this fencing is temporary, and my husband didn't want to have to bury those big panels since we want to find something else to put over there behind the new barn but don't want anything permanent - these big panels are supposed to be for our buck pen. So now I won't even tell my husband, I'll walk him over, show him the 'evidence' in the snow where babies got out and say 'we have to fix this' lol. I'd leave the back door open for them to come and go, but don't want babies getting out of the fence. BRATS.

The 'instigator' is the 2nd baby (dapple headed bottle brat too smart for his own good lol), ironically the first 3 escapees in the video are triplets.

·
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! These guys are so much fun! We will be weaning them early next week right about 10 weeks and makes me sad, but need to get the next group of does in the kidding barn.
We were out with them yesterday evening before finishing barn chores, and somehow my daughter ended up on the ground with a bunch of babies on top of her lol! It was so funny!
Then my son's dog running around trying to get them to chase her. Maverick - the painted dapple was happy to respond! Dokkabi is such a good dog, but super hyper around the babies. I don't trust her only because I think she'd nip at their ears when trying to play so she normally isn't allowed to play with them like this without constant supervision.
I wish I had taken video sooner though, because at one point almost all 10 kids were chasing after her. The mama's won't put up with her if they are there, they go after her and she is scared of them lol. She loves her goats though, we can't even have her outside when selling one or she goes crazy whining and barking at them to come back. One time she was in the front yard and ran the fence line trying to follow them. Breaks my heart even more as we get so attached to them!

·
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! They are rotten. I adore them so much. They are 10 weeks old today and need to get them weaned today or tomorrow so we can move the rest of our pregnant girls into the barn.
3 of these are sold, have a 4th we'll put up for sale soon (bottle baby, hard to part with him lol). There is never a dull moment with this bunch that's for sure lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts