crying 3 day old Bottle baby

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by athomebakermom, Mar 16, 2013.

1. athomebakermom

athomebakermom New Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I just purchased a 3 day old bottle baby nubian cross. She was so nice and quiet, just laying in my lap at first. Now (2 hours later) she is crying like mad!! We have her inside, as our older goats tried to head butt her, but I dont think the hubby will let me keep her in here when he gets home and hears that! WHAT SHOULD I DO??:shrug:

2. kramsay

kramsay Legacy Lane

Mar 6, 2013
    Southern IN
    She is probably lonely.. I would put her outside, in a pen beside the older ones.. so they cant get to her but she can see them, hear them, smell them. Maybe just make something temporary

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She is going to cry because she is alone and is going to a new home. You could get her a buddy which would help quiet her down. But only time will quiet her down as she gets used to all the new stuff.

4. OwnedByTheGoats

OwnedByTheGoats Well, my username says it all... :)

Mar 6, 2013
    Kansas
    When was the last time she was fed? She could possibly just be hungry. My bottle baby sleeps in my lap after a bottle, then several hours later is a complete beast!

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would also make sure she is feeling well....usually its just that they are lonely but could be other issues...How is she eating? how much, how often? is she pooping well? any grinding of teeth ?

6. OwnedByTheGoats

OwnedByTheGoats Well, my username says it all... :)

Mar 6, 2013
    Kansas
    Also, we ended up getting an unplanned 4 month old Nubian one day. Next day, we got another goat just to keep her quiet. I guess that is how they squeeze their way into our lives! ;)

7. athomebakermom

athomebakermom New Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks everyone! Not long after posting, she settled down for a nice nap. She is eating great, pottying great, and has a warm nest of blankies and a heating pad in the kitchen, complete with a stuffed bear. She slept all night!!