cud snot update

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zeldazim, Jul 13, 2008.

1. zeldazim

zeldazim Guest

Jun 30, 2008
    Hi,
    I'm still having problems with the goat with green muck coming from her nose. Whats funny to me is that after giving her a BoSe injection she cleared up for about a week & now is steadily getting worse again. I've read some articles that say goats need much more selenium than we're giving, but have to wonder how much is too much. I know it can be highly toxic.
    I thought maybe it wasn't the selenium that made the shortlived improvement, but possibly the vitamin E, so have started giving her vit E daily.
    Now I may have another problem. Just today while milking her I noticed the duct work (what I'm assuming are the mammary ducts. It's like tubing from mid belly trailing across the bottom of her abdomen and leading to each side of her udder.) Anyway, these ducts are huge. They've very swollen. I had never noticed them at all before, on her or any other goat. Maybe one of you will tell me that it's totally normal, at least I hope it is. I only have 1 other goat currently in milk and she doesn't have these noticable swellings. I can't even feel them on her.

Judy

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sounds like her mammary vein. all my milkers have them

3. zeldazim

zeldazim Guest

Jun 30, 2008
    Thanks SDK,
    I was thinking it was probably normal, but why would it be so large? I mean, it's not like I've never looked closely at her or ran my hands over her. In fact, I do that quite often to brush away bits of stuff I don't want ending up in the milk. And on my other goat that is currently milking I can't even feel these tubes.
    Maybe I just worry too much. The whole green gunk from the nose thing has been pretty perplexing. (and gross!)
    I'm not new to goats, but have never had milk goats, so, am totally new to the problems that go along with milking & reproduction. I just don't want to miss something that should be treated.

Judy

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes the large vein is good. Means she is a good producer :greengrin:

Have you taken the stuff from her nose in to a vet to have it tested or can you tell that it really is cud?

Have you checked inside her mouth as suggested for a whole to her sinuses?

5. zeldazim

zeldazim Guest

Jun 30, 2008
    I don't see anything abnormal in her palette. I never thought about taking the gunk to a vet. I'll have to call & see what he thinks.

How do you all decide how much BoSe is necessary? I know it varies depending on how deficient your area is. But is there a way to test individual goats? I think it's very strange that the green stuff went away entirely for about a week after her injection.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    selenium is needed for the sucking reflex so I wonder if it has anything to do with the swollowing reflex as well :shrug:

I dont give BoSe but a selenium gel so I dont know how much to say