The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
When I first got goats, we started with two does (siblings). Zafrina and Ila. Zafrina was pregnant. She gave birth to two does and a buck. We sold one doe, but then the buck, doe (and one of her does) and Zafrina all died from parasites.
Ila has given me very parasite resistant offspring, until this year. I got two bucks, purebred American Alpines. One of them has only been dewormed once since he was born in May, the other (Bandit) has been dewormed multiple times and has cost me vet bills. He’s struggling to get over these parasites, and now has formed bottle jaw.
I am planning on calling my vet again in the morning but the thing is, if I am going to breed for parasite resistance, shouldn’t I cull him? It’s super hard because I only have the three of them and I love them so much, but if he is going to die from parasites anyways, why put all this money into it? I’m trying to think this through with the mind of a goat breeder, because that’s what I want to do, but it’s just so hard.
Should I try to get him better and send him to auction? I just hate to separate him from his brother and mom, I feel like it would be traumatizing.You guys, I hate this part of farming. But I want to do it right.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
If you are attached..and he makes it through this round of parasites, you could wether him so he can be your bucks companion.

On the bottle jaw.
Bottle jaw is a reaction to anemia. Address the anemia and you address the bottle jaw. Of course this is assuming you already addressed the parasites. If not, will need to do that. Barber pole is most likely the parasite or liver fluke both of which are most likely to cause bottle jaw. Have a fecal done to confirm for BP
I would choose Cydectin sheep drench or Ivomectin injectable to treat. Treat 3 times 10 days between then once a again in 30 days. If Liver Fluke you need valbazen or ivomec PLUS or if no fecal..use Valbazen or the ivomec plus just in case. Then I would suggest he be put on a weekly dose of herbal parasite formula. I use and like Land of Havilah. This may help him stay parasite controlled. I would include daily fresh raw garlic and a quality loose mineral. Daily probiotics help keep his rumen flora healthy and will assist in strengthening his immune system.
For anemia
Red cell or injectable iron once a day for a week and then once a week until famacha is better
Daily B 12
30 cc of 50/50 acv/water once a day. Can split this dose in 2 if needed
High protein feeds, browse and alfalfa all help rebuild red blood cells.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to specify that he and his brother are wethers. I am not here to ask for cures for him, although thank you for that info, I have already been to the vet and have treated him. That vet bill alone was over $100. I’m asking for opinions. Because I could do all those things and bring him through this but in the end, he’s going to probably need to be dewormed at least once a month and end up dying from parasites anyways. That’s what happened to Zafrina’s line.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Bottle jaw is a reaction to anemia. Address the anemia and you address the bottle jaw. Of course this is assuming you already addressed the parasites. If not, will need to do that. Barber pole is most likely the parasite or liver fluke both of which are most likely to cause bottle jaw. Have a fecal done to confirm for BP
I would choose Cydectin sheep drench or Ivomectin injectable to treat. Treat 3 times 10 days between then once a again in 30 days. If Liver Fluke you need valbazen or ivomec PLUS or if no fecal..use Valbazen or the ivomec plus just in case. Then I would suggest he be put on a weekly dose of herbal parasite formula. I use and like Land of Havilah. This may help him stay parasite controlled. I would include daily fresh raw garlic and a quality loose mineral. Daily probiotics help keep his rumen flora healthy and will assist in strengthening his immune system.
For anemia
Red cell or injectable iron once a day for a week and then once a week until famacha is better
Daily B 12
30 cc of 50/50 acv/water once a day. Can split this dose in 2 if needed
High protein feeds, browse and alfalfa all help rebuild red blood cells.

Iris Bird Art Toy Snout

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Since he's a wether, you obviously don't have to worry about passing those poor parasite resiatance genetics along. So it seems to me that it's really up to you to decide if you want to make the effort needed to keep him healthy. :)
If it was me, I'd probably work on getting his rumen in shape and addressing any mineral issues, and reassess in a few months.
But I do understand not wanting to keep high maintenance animals around, as it cuts back on the amount of time/money you have to spend on the rest of your livestock. So it's really up to you. No judgement, either way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do your goats have free choice hay? Do you rotate pastures?
They get hay every day, they have ruffage to eat so I haven’t been giving them free choice hay. We moved from our farm to a rental and have been keeping them in a friends yard, so we haven’t been able to pasture rotate. We just bought a house with four acres of woods that we will fence off, starting with two .5 acre lots. But they can’t be moved there until December. The hay we get is expensive so that’s why I limit it, but I’m trying to find some hay bales.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since he's a wether, you obviously don't have to worry about passing those poor parasite resiatance genetics along. So it seems to me that it's really up to you to decide if you want to make the effort needed to keep him healthy. :)
If it was me, I'd probably work on getting his rumen in shape and addressing any mineral issues, and reassess in a few months.
But I do understand not wanting to keep high maintenance animals around, as it cuts back on the amount of time/money you have to spend on the rest of your livestock. So it's really up to you. No judgement, either way.
Yes I’m obviously not worried about passing on those genes, but I am worried about the cost. Especially because we just bought a house and have to pay for fencing and shelter. We already spent over $100 on him at the vet.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dad went to give Bandit his meds this morning (the vet is treating him for ulcers as well because there was blood in his stool). He looks a little better, you can see his jaw is still swollen and underneath there’s a little pocket almost where it’s swollen. He’s had diarrhea for over a week, that’s what sent us to the vet.
When he started the diarrhea, I treated him and his brother and mom with CORID. When he was still having diarrhea 5 days later, we took him to the vet. He wasn’t horribly anemic but his red cell count pretty low. I can’t remember the worms my vet said he had (dang it) but he treated him with cydectin and 5 days of safeguard. We finished the dose of safeguard yesterday. So I guess it’s been more like 2 weeks of him having diarrhea. He has pills for the ulcers which should last a week since we took him in, so they are almost gone
Eye Plant Goat Grass Goat-antelope

Plant Mammal Goat Grass Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I asked my vet about the Red Cells when I took Bandit in about a week ago. He said that it won’t hurt but it is a waste of money because the problem isn’t that he is deficient in iron, it’s that he can’t produce red cells faster than the parasites are taking them. So once we treat the parasites, his body will produce those red cells. The vet said that it would make me feel more better than Bandit would, lol.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Well, Red Cell really DOES work. I've used it on anemic goats, and seen what it can do. As a person who struggles with anemia, I know that sometimes your body needs a little boost to recover from an iron deficiency. It's not that you can't recover on your own, it's that taking an iron supplement will help you recover more quickly and easily.
B complex will help his rumen, which is probably not functioning very well right now, due to all the things you've had to give him for the worms.
Flat dark beer drenches are also great for reconditioning the rumen.
I've used the beer and the B complex with a buckling that's had symptoms similar to what you're describing, and they really are effective. Neither is expensive, either, so if you wanted to try, you wouldn't be sinking too much money into the effort.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
They get hay every day, they have ruffage to eat so I haven’t been giving them free choice hay. We moved from our farm to a rental and have been keeping them in a friends yard, so we haven’t been able to pasture rotate. We just bought a house with four acres of woods that we will fence off, starting with two .5 acre lots. But they can’t be moved there until December. The hay we get is expensive so that’s why I limit it, but I’m trying to find some hay bales.
If they are living in a yard with no rotation (which means they can constantly reinfect themselves with parasites), then they definitely need free choice hay.

Anemic goats need a high protein diet to help them recover (think alfalfa pellets or a high protein hay. No grain if they are scouring as that can make it worse).

These pages have some helpful information:

Nutrition (click on the "Goats" tab)

Bandit is adorable! I agree that daily red cell and B12 injections are needed to treat anemia. The scours are worrisome too. Make sure he gets daily probiotics. Is he drinking? If the pills aren't working and he is still scouring within the next day or so, then I would try SpectoGard Scour-Chek. Dosage is 6 ml per day for 3 days. You can split the 6 ml into 3 ml twice a day. Since spectogard is an antibiotic, don't give probiotics at the same time. Space them out a few hours from each other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts