The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Cupcake is NOT doing any better on her hooves.

I have done:

2 rounds of Pen G
2 rounds of LA200
Ivermectin Injectable
3 rounds of CyLence
LA200 applied directly to wounds
Ivermectin Paste
Valbazen (as a hail mary)
NuStock
BluKote
Atheletes foot spray
Dr Naylors Hoof Scald treatment
Coppertox
Thrush XXX
Oral Copper
Power Punch
Red Cell
Sulmet
HoofFlex
Mange Germacide ointment Happy Jack

Her hooves are not really affected, just her skin. Her coat has never been prettier! She looks fabulous except for the hoof issues.

I have consulted with the vet. They are stumped.

Photos from today.

You can see the first photo that foot is healed and the fur is growing back. However ALL the other feet are WORSE.

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
it's like she has eczema! have you tried tea tree oil and maybe coconut oil? i don't know what else that can be suggested....

btw - amazing job on her! i know this isn't the ending you wanted, but she's looking great!

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's like she has eczema! have you tried tea tree oil and maybe coconut oil? i don't know what else that can be suggested....

btw - amazing job on her! i know this isn't the ending you wanted, but she's looking great!
I have not tried that. I have both items here. I wonder if the tea tree oil will burn? She SCREAMED when I put the hoof scald treatment on her. SCREAMED and flopped on the ground. She then wouldn't walk for the rest of the day. I did a few days of that twice a day and couldn't bring myself to do it anymore, and it appeared to just make it worse.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Have you tried maybe just leaving it alone for a bit? Maybe all of the liquids/medications are keeping it irritated. animals tend to show allergies through skin reactions....maybe she is allergic to penicillin/antibiotics. Try just cleaning it with a chlorahexadine solution once or twice a day, drying it really well, and not keeping anything on it topically.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i don't think the tea tree oil will hurt her. earlier this year, my doe cut the skin in between the toe, and it was really rainy then so i was worried for infection. every time she was eating, i'd drip tea tree oil on it...didn't seem to phase her at all except she didn't like that i was grabbing her foot.

give those a try. at least the coconut oil will help soothe the irritated skin....

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She was having these bad symptoms before I started giving her any medications. I did give her a break a few weeks ago, and thats when it got really really worse.

I think I will start with tea tree and coconut oil, then maybe the vaseline? Is that to "suffocate" any sort of creepy crawly?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
and you can give her garlic to help boost immune system to help fight whatever this thing is... vit C can also help fight stuff. i'm currently fighting a tooth infection with garlic alone, and i've noticed vast improvements in just a week.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i personally woudln't put vaseline, but i don't like vaseline.... so that's up to you. if skin needs to heal, then it should breathe. also, oxygen kills bacteria and viruses. your call tho :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i give cloves cut in half to my girls. they hated it at first and i had to chop it up and hide it in their food, but now they just gobble it down! start with 1 a day and work your way up. i'm currently trying to ingest about 4-8 a day for my tooth. my girls currently get 1-2 cloves a day just as a boost and parasite killer

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
She was having these bad symptoms before I started giving her any medications. I did give her a break a few weeks ago, and thats when it got really really worse.

I think I will start with tea tree and coconut oil, then maybe the vaseline? Is that to "suffocate" any sort of creepy crawly?
Yes, I would try it...it can't hurt and it may actually soothe her raw areas..

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
and you can give her garlic to help boost immune system to help fight whatever this thing is... vit C can also help fight stuff. i'm currently fighting a tooth infection with garlic alone, and i've noticed vast improvements in just a week.
Ugh.... A WEEK?? Nope, gimme the penicillin! :D

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
i personally woudln't put vaseline, but i don't like vaseline.... so that's up to you. if skin needs to heal, then it should breathe. also, oxygen kills bacteria and viruses. your call tho :)
But it's not so far....when my chickens got leg mites, I used just vaseline for 2 weeks....and voila....gone.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts