Curious about fed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Shaylatheyoungest17, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Shaylatheyoungest17

Shaylatheyoungest17 Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Creighton, e
    I start noticed that people don't feed grains to their goats. I did feed my goats with grain and cracked corn, and little bit of Goats mineral in the fed. I couldn't get them eat the rock of minerals, to them it seem a toy to play with. So I found other way to get minerals in their body, is mix them in grains. but I wasn't sure if that good for them. And I do feed hay daily too. To protect the UC. And I also mix the Deworm pellets in the grain too, to prevent the worms and parasites, etc. I'm wondering if that is healthy way to take care of them or it not healthy for them. I'm worried if I feeding them wrong way. People says I spoiled them, I admit I do. I does this for 6 years and I still learning new everyday with them. they are pretty happy little bit cubby goats. But they are my babies and I love them so much, and I want them be healthy too. Any tips will helps too.

capracreek likes this.
  2. I do give my milkers grain, only on the stand. The rest get free choice alfalfa. I give free choice loose minerals. I don't use the pellets for deworming. I treat as needed. I also give Replamin gel once a month.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Goat Forum mobile app

capracreek likes this.

3. Gretch0316

Gretch0316 New Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I have a question about feeding. I own Nubians which, I know, are fabulous milk goats but these will not be bred (reasons). My question is, do they have to be fed a milk ration or can they be fed something else. Due to the milk ration feed, I have one that has a precocious udder and lessening her feed is causing her to lose too much weight. Can I feed them feed made for meat goats?

capracreek likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What is their function? If just pets, I wouldn't bother with grain. Just give some alfalfa pellets.

capracreek likes this.
  5. Gretch0316

Gretch0316 New Member

Jun 28, 2015
    They are pets, for lack of a better word, but I am wondering about the grain. Can they eat something other than a sweet feed and be healthy?

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. Alfalfa pellets.

7. Gretch0316

Gretch0316 New Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Yes, thank you. I was curious about whether or not they could eat any other type of feed. Maybe not.

8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    It sounds like you would like to give grain to them. Yes, they don't have to eat grain specifically for milk production. I don't feed sweet feed, I feed a pelleted feed to my nubians - but not much if they are not milking or feeding kids. Alfalfa pellets is an excellent choice in addition to hay. browese and loose minerals. If their condition is poor, get a fecal done, and consider a copper bolus if they are in poor condition.