Curious about Goats

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ellie L. F., Jan 30, 2019.

1. Yes Always

7.7%
  2. No

23.1%
  3. Depends

69.2%
  1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL,
    talking about a good example of horns vs no horns.
    Years ago, when I was starting out, we would go to a breeder who had a scale for others to use for weights on wethers being sold.

This breeder dehorned everything mind you.
    When we took our wethers over to her to get a weight. What did they grab first, when trying to get the goat to move over to the area? The horns.
    I thought to myself, now why in the world would they have no horned goats, yet that is the first place they grabbed, I thought it was immunizing.
    :crazy::haha:(doh)

21goaties, MadCatX and SonRise Acres like this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    ^ It was very "immunizing" eh? :heehee:

3. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    immunizations are key lol

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I would ask the breeders to wait as long as possible to wether them. They could have very long lives and letting them get older before taking away the testes improves their long term health.

I know, not the extremity you were asking about.

5. lamancha1234

lamancha1234 New Member

Feb 1, 2019
    spanaway wa
    In my Experience I am 100% Against D-horned goats i lost 4 babies a week a part from one another due to a women's stupidity of D-horning my goats she did it to long and to hard she dug it really deep in there heads.

My 95-lb 8 1/2 month old Lamancha doe has a nice set of horns and she is really sweet she don't use them to head butt me or use them on me even when she is near my leg she will walk side ways to keep from poking me i know it sounds funny but she does what she can not to poke my leg.

there is a lot of breeders who don't like D-horned goats and there are some that do but it is the owners discretion if they want them or not.

You can maybe catch the breeder before they D-horned there babies and see if they will keep your goats that you want D-horned as that is what you want. The breeder May ask for a fee for you to pay so if they do keep them horned so you don't back out on the 2 goats you want and they don't get stuck with goats that are horned.

I also would say Look at the goats Personality of the parent's Mainly the father he will show you how his children's personality will turn out to be.

6. Megpie

Megpie Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I will say it is much easier to grab a horned goat then ones with no horns...especially when its time to deworm.

21goaties and toth boer goats like this.
  7. MtnRidgeFarm

MtnRidgeFarm Active Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    Not true! :) We have dairy goats and also go hornless. That's not to say that I'm against horns as a whole but I think it depends on the type of goat you have (meat goats vs. dairy vs. fiber) as their horns all grow in differently. For having goats as pets, you're obviously not going to be showing them, but in the dairy world, your show goat can not have horns as a rule. I agree with the first reply here that said that when you go to buy kids, the decision will already be made for you.

mariarose and wifeof1 like this.
  8. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm going to insert a caveat here about grabbing goats by the horns to restrain them. Yes, you can do it, but you have to be very careful. I've known too many people to get hurt that way. Goats do NOT like to be grabbed by the horns and will often shake you off quite violently. It can make them aggressive and/or head shy. When I need to medicate, I prefer to use a stanchion if I can, or I'll restrain the goat's head with a halter. I may slip an arm behind the horns to immobilize him, but I never try to restrain the goat by hanging onto his horns directly. If I have to medicate a horned goat, I always wear eye protection and I'm cautious about where I put my face. I don't want to end up crawling around on the floor in search of my teeth!

9. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I think there are reasons for each option. We need to decide, not what is best for everyone, or best overall, but what is best for ourselves.

And yes, @lamancha1234, that does mean learning to do procedures well and appropriately. I'm sorry you lost your kids to disbudding gone wrong, but many people have learned to do it extremely well.

BTW, I have both horned and not horned in my herd and I can certainly see the pros and cons to each.

goatblessings likes this.
  10. Mike at Capra Vista

Mike at Capra Vista Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Vancouver Island
    To disbud or not .....

I agree that it is a personal decision. And personally I like horns on my pet goats. But I do understand the need to disbud for others.

Just know that you CANNOT accidentally get poked in the eye by a hornless goat.

With horned goats you...
    upload_2019-2-1_10-8-35.jpeg

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I never have any issues grabbing horns, but this is on Doe's.
    It should not be practiced on bucks, as they can get angry from it or over power you.
    Does are different IMO and they can be strong, but I have my pro caught by the horns does who know when I have them by the horns, they are caught and won't fight it, LOL. ;)

With horns yes, you have to be careful around them, they don't mean to hurt you but, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can get hit.

mariarose likes this.
  12. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I don't have much experience with horned does, but from what I've seen, wethers have a similar attitude toward their horns as bucks. They can become quite defensive or aggressive if you grab them. Wethers are not as strong as bucks, but a mature one can still overpower you if they think your horn grab is a challenge. And once an animal knows he can overpower you, it's game over.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    mariarose likes this.
  13. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Yep. We have goats like that (they know once they're caught they're caught), some that don't care if you grab their horn, and then the ones that fight like a mad bull. So yes what @Damfino said is true. It's a good thing we don't halter train or walk our goats because most of them are head shy due to all the horn grabbing.

And plus our wethers horns are so big they won't fit into a stanchion. Basically it's just hang on. Yes we have had every disaster you are thinking of right now happen. Just be careful to let go if it gets too crazy so they don't break your wrist. If it's a small goat you can straddle it (don't put your weight on them) but if it's a huge goat (like our wethers) and not trained to stand still or you don't have a stanchion that will fit them then it's. . .interesting. Especially once they figure out that you are going to stab them with a needle.

What has happened with ours is that they know you are going to grab their horn, but they make you give them a treat before they will let you. Then depending on the goat they will fight, stand still, etc.

So basically every time we "check" the goats it is quite the adventure.

toth boer goats and Damfino like this.
  14. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    I have both horned and horless goats. Yes you must be more aware and safety orientated aroind those with hones. My husband and laugh when people ask why some are and some are not*the ones that have horns were iusually born here. We both figue they sre born with hornes for a reason

toth boer goats and Dwarf Dad like this.
  15. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    ^ Exactly why we don't grab our pet or working goats by the horns! I don't want those large, dangerous weapons flailing around when I'm trying to love or work with my boys. I got a stanchion with a headpiece that opens up completely so it works with horned goats, and halters are my best friend sometimes. If you control the head, you control the horns without having to grab them.

16. CecilandNellie

CecilandNellie Kalopa Mauka

Aug 16, 2014
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I have always bought dehorned and tried to dehorn my kids that I keep. The guy who buys my kids wants horns on, handles, so I leave them for him. Last year my most beautiful doe kid did not get burned, I did not think I would keep her but she is so pretty - she stayed. The handles are great, she has been stuck in the fence once. She is due March 3, so I will get to test how these beautiful horns work in the stanchion. Her mother and all her sibs (2 seasons) are polled, so she must be my wonder goat. Axel, sheʻs called. Sibs - Primrose, Sylvester, Maxine, Maeve, and Maude. She is bred to Finch (named because his mother is Scout and Atticus is just too common). I select names from literature and my grandparents families!!

mariarose likes this.
  17. Ellie L. F.

Ellie L. F. New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    Sorry for the late reply, I'm not able to get on the internet often.
    I'm in Gunnison. a 4 hour drive into the mountains southwest from Denver.

18. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh, I know exactly where Gunnison is! I grew up in Lake City. Spent some of the best years of my life there. Gunnison was our "big town" where we bought groceries once a month, went to the dentist, and learned about traffic lights and Wal-Mart.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  19. Ellie L. F.

Ellie L. F. New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    Oh Cool! I love Lake City! You're probably aware how cold it gets here then. I wonder if I'll have to get the Nigies a coat?