curious about often to breed?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by gotgoats, Aug 23, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have read from various places different things on how often you can breed your does. Some say you can breed two times year and others say once a year. I want to know how many months do you allow after a kidding before breeding her back. Does it matter as to what kind of goat you have? I have fainters and I want my does to stay in great health. What do you all do? I am just curious

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have boers and we breed 1x a year,,,,they will be healthier and last longer I believe in years ,,plus they won't look like a brood mare,,HAHAHAHA,,, body condition is very important to me~! we did breed 2x in the same year once,, but felt it was a little hard on the does ,,... All depends on each breeders preferences...........

Toth boer goats
    http://tothboergoats.clearwire.net/

3. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    We breed once a year and it works well.
    Breed between Sept-Nov.
    Kid in Feb - March
    Dry in July early Aug after the fair 3rd week of July
    Let rest, eat and get chubby till breeding season.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When you wean kids from the doe,,, dry her up for a minimum of 1 month,, but more is better.....

5. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    That's what I thought. My 2 does will be ready for their 2nd breeding this fall. I felt 2 x a year seemed way too much. I was planning to breed them about the same time as they did the year before. I want healthy happy goats with healthy babies.

6. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I HAVE bred a couple does 2 x's a year, but here is what I did , you breed them, they kid, breed them 2 months later and they have more babies, but I will usually give them a year or only breed them 1 time the next year. I only breed 2x's a year if the doe is in top condition, and I will only breed them twice a year every couple of years I dont do it constantly. It works well for me

7. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    We don't do dairy only meat.
    We also are not a production facility.
    Once a year is plenty and the does go for a lot more years at that rate.
    I don't like burning out my does early in life and I don't like having to feed expensive production feeds, aka grain. Its not cost effective for us at all.

Our goats are our food and I don't need to pay an arm and a leg for good healthy meat.
    Just sensible management works well for us. Nature is wonderful when she isn't pushed to her limits.

I do know that meat and dairy are very different in management.
    Ours is a meat for our family perspective.

I imagine production meat is very different too as money has to be made.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have pygmy/nigi and nigi does....II have always bred for late winter early spring kids, I milk my girls and feel that freshening once a year is plenty, they deliver, nurse babies for 7-8 weeks and produce milk for me for 6-7 months after the kids are sold, I dry them off 1-2 months before breeding again to kid the following year. Top quality does that produce top quality kids are usually the only ones bred to kid twice in a year...those kids turn a profit because of the great genetics behind them...I have "pets" and really more than that I think my girls do well enough to get a rest....and I have an 8 year old nigi/pygmy that I retired after giving triplets in February, she's still giving me just under a quart a day...I'd like for her to stick around a few more years and the older they get the more chances of complications leading to losses.

9. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I know many breeders do the 3 times for every two years, but not twice a year.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to breed 3 times in 2 years you have to breed them twice in one year my dear. :wink:

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I took it as twice every year. I'd never heard it phrased that way. :shrug:

12. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I base it on the does and the majority are bred once a year, but I have a couple that I breed 1 month after they wean their kids because they get fat on forage if they aren't pregnant if that makes any sense. If any are thin at breeding time they don't get bred. I like them in good condition, neither thin nor fat for breeding. Also I let the doelings I keep grow for 1 year before breeding regardless of their size because I want them to be mature of mind, not just of body. Many breed their boers when they weigh 70lbs, but I like to let them mature also. I have a doeling that is huge, but she is only 7 months old and I won't breed her until she s a year With boers, they can be bred any time of the year, so I just take my cues from the does and it also spreads out my kiddings so I'm not overwhelmed with 20 does kidding at nearly the same time. The other factor is the weather here and I don't breed any to kid in July or August because it's just too hot here then. For winter kiddings I have a nice insulated barn so that isn't a problem. Good luck, Denise

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I completely agree with rgbdab that is the exact way, we do things with our boers.....

14. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have fainters also and I breed mine 1 time a year. Some does can handle twice but I would say just once a year is enough.