Curious: Info/Opinions/Insight? :)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KourtneyBrooke, Mar 15, 2011.

1. KourtneyBrooke

KourtneyBrooke New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Nederland, TX
    I have recently purchased a young goat, from a woman that raises Kiko Boer Crosses, last week... but the goat we chose was not a part of the woman's herd, and she didnt seem to know a whole lot about this particular little guy. :shrug:

Anyway, so she purchased the goat that we chose, elsewhere (for whatever reasons); and was unable to offer a whole lot of information about him. She said she did know that he is close to 4-5 months of age, is a mixed breed, and is close to the size he will be once he is full grown. Oh, and he has neither been dehorned or castrated either.

Either way, we decided that there was something about him... he's different looking, he's not too young, he should be somewhat of a smaller goat, and being that it would reside at my other half's residence/barn, I thought it would be better to go with a goat that he seemed to like and was somewhat partial to, of course :hi5:

All in all, we just adore the little guy and couldnt be much happier with the progress that we've made with him so far.... (as we learned that he was not so tame, when we had to help "catch him") but we still don't know a whole lot about him, which I can't stand, lol... and we havent chosen a name for him yet, either!

So any input, or opinions, advice or tips any of you might have for me, would be greatly appreciated :greengrin:

I am mostly intrested in his breed composition, coloring/ markings, and his ears primarily... please let me know what you think!

** I will try to upload more pictures asap

Attached Files:

2. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    He's cute! He kind of looks like a kinder to me. :shrug: Do you have more goats?

Gina

3. KourtneyBrooke

Mar 14, 2011
    Nederland, TX
    Thats what I thought(?)!! :greengrin: Ive read good things about the kinders... he is the only goat, for now, hoping for another tho - shhh! :wink:

As of now, his pen/barn mates are a 2 yr old "dud" of a racehorse named Caucha, who would rather clown around then run out of the gate, lol... so he stays at the barn for good, and is retired at ripe old age of 2, lol! But we all love him dearly & are lucky to have him- he keeps us laughing for sure! (we just joke about him being a dud :wink: ) His other barn mate is a 30 yr old ret. champ. barrel racer who was raised with a goat.... His name is Lynx and he is too funny because in his younger days, he wouldn't ride in a trailer alone, and was raised with a goat as his "sidekick" ... So our little guy has plenty of company, let alone the horses, there are several larger dogs to protect him, and the funniest thing yet, is his attraction to cats! He is so amusing.. we are really enjoying him, needless to say :)

Below is a picture of Caucha with my friend Miranda, who is very gifted with animals... she can actually have him sit like a dog, lol

Attached Files:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He does appear to be Kinder...and if you want him as a pet/companion...I would suggest having him neutered ASAP. Intact bucks are not pet material.

5. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    When does the buck start becoming a jerk? I have an alpine buck that is an absolute sweety...He's about a year old now.

6. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    What is a kinder?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A Kinder is a pygmy/nubian cross.....and regardless of age or how sweet a buck is , do you really want a musky, peeing on himself, tongue flapping buck as a pet? They aren't very attractive to pet and love on and once they are in rut, they are less attractive.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    A kinder is a pygmy/nubian cross.

Honestly if he is that young, i'd expect him to at least double in size, but he could get probably quadruple his size. And I agree that you'll want to get him castrated soon if you want him as a pet. He'll become stinky and obnoxious when he gets older...not a good pet.

And Lexibot, not all bucks become "jerks". Actually, all of the bucks I have now are quite respectful and nice. It usually has a lot to do with how they are raised and treated. They need to learn boundaries and respect though. I've never had a problem with bucks being nasty.

9. KourtneyBrooke

Mar 14, 2011
    Nederland, TX
    Thanks Gina, and Liz!

We do plan on having him castrated, as I agree, those things do seem somewhat unnecessary and foul. But something else we were willing to look into, were ways to maintain/ keep his horns small or dull??.... if that is at all humanely, possible! We hope to be able to have him around younger children from time to time.

Kylee, thanks for your reply as well.... When we started looking at goats, I wanted a Boer goat, and my bf wanted a pygmy or a "small" one. So, I am hoping that he doesn't triple, or QUADRUPLE in size, as I've realized from some of the reading I've been doing, that goats generally do not reach their full size for a few years even! I am excited though, about the possibility of him being a Pygmy/Boer cross... we just have to take it day by day for the most part though, being that we know so little about him.

10. KourtneyBrooke

Mar 14, 2011
    Nederland, TX
    Can you guys help me with feeding... how much should I feed this guy??

The woman told us she was feeding about a lb a day, of Sweet Feed (10%, the cheaper choice) and deer corn, mixed equally... and hay.

I want to feed him whatever is best, and Id like to see him improve quite a bit, appearance wise... which he already has! *When we brought him home his coat was dry and full of dandruff, which there is little to no signs of now. Also he seems really lean, it was hard to find muscle o him anywhere... :scratch:

I am feeding him Alfalfa, not freely.... but I feed it a little here & there, and when I give feed. I am feeling about a cup or so of Noble Goat Pellets, Medicated, twice a day. And Im mixing in about an ounce of mineral supplement with his pellets/alfalfa. And I also give him some chopped corn with his food, or as a treat.

If you could tell me what might be a good amount to feed or how/what you guys feed, Id be interested to know... I wanna give him the best care possible!

*Also I gave him his CDT the other day, which (he had never had) I was worried about him over eating/overfeeding or just eating wrong... but Im sure he's fine, lol :wink:

11. KourtneyBrooke

Mar 14, 2011
    Nederland, TX
    And here's another picture of him... I think he has "moonspots"??

Attached Files:

12. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    He is so pretty! Noble Goat is good. Don't let him get into horse feed though. Some of it has too much protein. Mine get free choice hay and minerals during the day, alfalfa cubes if I can't get hay.
    As for horns, never let him or anyone play head butting games. If he knows it's not allowed to play that with humans, he won't.
    My bucks were very friendly and loving but boy did they stink! All my boys are wethers now except Ben and he will done in a month or so. He is the such a love bug but I can no longer kiss his face. Yuck! Plus his once pretty tri color legs with the bright white chrome.....is know yellow. Gross. He sometimes will lean on you and while you pet him he piddles on your boots. :doh:

Good luck with him. He is a doll and it does look like moonspots.
    Gina

13. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't think he's a kinder. It's kind of hard to tell, but if he is four or five months old he looks kind of big to me for a kinder. He looks about the size of my year old kinder wethers. If he is that young he will grow a lot more.

He certainly could be something crossed with some nubian in there somewhere. He looks pretty dairy to me.

(Kinders are what I raise)

Jan

14. KourtneyBrooke

Mar 14, 2011
    Nederland, TX
    I definitley dont want any of that!... no head butting or stankiness, for sure! :roll: Im sure the lady was just wanting to make a sale, but she said he shouldnt smell if there wasnt a female around- but I didnt take that literally, of course.

Anyways, I like him just fine, whatever he may be... but I just dont really know what to expect, I guess. Im just not looking for him to be huge or obnoxious, of course.

Thanks Jan! I thought he might have been a Boer/ Nubian cross, or a Kiko Boer... or geeze, I dont know. To be honest, I just dont really know as much about all the different breeds, yet. I google the different ones by name and click the images tab and go from there for the most part....

*do you have a link for your goats, or if you dont mind, post some pics when you have time, if you can please:)

15. KourtneyBrooke

Mar 14, 2011
    Nederland, TX
    Thanks so much Gina, thats very sweet:)) I will keep these thing in mind, for sure

16. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009