The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister from FL was on vacation up the East Coast, and she came upon cranberry blogs. She noticed that one farm in particular had goats. He told her once the cranberries were harvested the goats get to clean up all the rest, including poison ivy. He milks his goats, drinks the milk, and now when he comes into contact with poison ivy he doesn't break out anymore. I'm thinking could this work with grass too? I was sooo allergic to grass, started milking my goats, drinking the milk, and I haven't had any asthmatic this last year. Could this be? Cool if so:)

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
That is interesting..

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
I know a guy that got goats for that reason. His kids would get it so bad they would swell up like balloons and had a hard time breathing. He swore it would work. I haven't seen him for years so I don't know but he still has goats on his place. I know honey helps with hay fever if the Bees are making honey from the stuff you allergic to so I don't see why it wouldn't work with milk.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If this is true, this is the most interesting idea I've read in months! No allergies, so cannot test this in person. Not being a biologist or endocrinologist, I can only hokey up a theory that the goat/bee makes/has antibodies for potential allergens, which are present in the milk/honey, and on consumption are somehow incorporated into one's own immune system, rather than simply being digested? If, indeed, this is true?

·
I'm watching you
22,550 Posts
My theory has always been that the goats make antibodies for their kids against potential poisons so, everything they eat, they would be making antibodies for...This being why they can eat so many things other animals can't and why that resistance gets stronger when many generations live in the same place. Just a theory...

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm kinda thinking of actually getting allergy tested again next summer to see. When you think about it, what do they give you when you take allergy shots? They give you a little at a time of what you are allergic too, in hopes that your body will build immunity too it. I was on 3 different asthma meds the year before, I used my emergency inhaler 2 times in 8 months, cats were involved. Hmmmm, now if I can just get my milking does to eat cat hair...;-/ LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts