Curious question??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by janeen128, Oct 1, 2014.

1. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I had made a promise to anyone who buys from me that if their situation changes and they need to find a new home for the goats they purchased that I will buy them back from them. 2 cousins one wether and one doeling are coming back on Friday. They left here back in April.. Do you think they are going recognize the place and their moms? Just curious....

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I bet do. I know I have brought back goats. Matter of fact I am going to get one of my older does I sold and bringing her back home here where she behind. I hope she knows home.

3. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I guess we shall see tomorrow... I'm excited..;-)

4. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I do the same thing. I have three takebacks. One left as a very young doeling. She had to fight her way back in, she and her momma didn't know each other although her wether brother, who we kept, knew her right away and came to her defense. The other two were twin does who I sold at yearling age. The buyer had them about 6 months and didn't know what she was doing. Had such poor milking practices she managed to let both get mastitis. Called me and said she had to give up her animals. I took them back, and they didn't have much trouble re-acclimating. It can be done. I didn't, by the way, pay for the return of any of them. I would have, had push come to shove, but I don't promise that at sale time.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I think They will remember....and goats remember eachother...but even when I set a new mom in a pen with her new babies..they tend to do a little push and shove when they reenter the herd.....

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Hmmm, well they seem to recognize things;-) My only concern is the little wether smells and acts like a buck;-(
    I'm probably going to have to take him into the vet to see if maybe I missed something while banding??;-(
    She isn't pregnant, so I don't think he can breed, but um do some wethers still get this way? If so he might be heading to the sale barn in the spring.

8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Bean acted like that when I first got him. As soon as he met a real buck, he quit and never had the behavior again.

9. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Good to know... He will be heading up to the bucks pen tomorrow AM, as I just wanted them to settle today together before I separated them. I will most likely breed her in the next few weeks though with my other kinder buck. I'll wait to see what happens with his behavior and go from there... I hope he just needs to meet an actual buck.

10. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Eeks, after further investigation this morning of her behind, I think she is bred... I'll post some pics here to see what you think. They share the same dad, but different mom, moms are half sisters, too close of relatives, but not sure if I should lute or if I should let it play out. I have someone coming in a few minutes to see if they want to help out when needed with my goats, so hopefully with 2 of us I can get some pics. She's very shy...

11. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Okay here are pics, 1st two are of her and the 3rd is of him. ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1412462510.256637.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1412462525.878729.jpg

12. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Oops here is the one of him... ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1412462571.309843.jpg