Curious watering question??

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by janeen128, Oct 8, 2015.

1. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    When I first got into goats about 4 years ago, I had read somewhere that you are supposed to dump the water and clean buckets (whatever one has) on a daily basis or the goats won't drink it. I have to admit I dump the water every day, and scrub the buckets a couple times a week. I'm doing farm sitting and I know that no one has touched the goats water buckets etc, and the goats are fine, healthy and happy. This is the second farm sitting job that has goats, and everyone is fine... Am I just over thinking this or what?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

If the water is relatively clean, you don't have to change it everyday.

3. FloatnRockRanch

FloatnRockRanch New Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Bellingham, WA
    They will drink if they are thirsty.....cleaning daily is just to ensure they stay healthier and reduce the possibility of parasites and sickness from drinking dirty water.

4. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I'm probably doing WAY more than I need too, do I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking it...

5. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Janeen , i empty and wash buckets everyday , sometimes a few times a day if needed on hot days or windy days when things get blown into their buckets. If anyone over does it , its me , lol..but I'm a stickler for clean fresh water for my animals at all times.

Ive heard that adding a drop of bleach to so many gallons of water keeps them clean and algae free....i wouldn't do it , but maybe thats what your farm sitting customers do....or they add ACV ....or maybe their animals are just used to not so clean water , lol..

6. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I'm pretty sure they don't put anything in the buckets since they are filled with algae.

7. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Well they should then :worried:

8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Algae sucks the nutrients out of the water...

9. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Oh great.... Really? Good to know... Huh, I wonder how they get by now...

10. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Its still gross....:sick:

11. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA

I think that's why I clean mine often..., I can't stand it...

12. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Thats why i use buckets , easy to clean and fill with fresh water. In the beginning i was thinking of using a tub for water , but after thinking about what it would take for me to empty it , and climb in it to clean , iol , i opted for a few more buckets :)

13. SeventeenFarms

SeventeenFarms Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    I pretty much go by that "if I wouldn't drink from it, neither should they". I am not obsessive in any respect, but rely on my common sense. If its dirty, I clean it and change it.

14. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
    We change out the water in the morning and add a small splash of ACV. If it looks gross or something got in it I will also change it out in the evening. The ACV really keeps the algae down and they don't seem to mind it.

15. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I don't think anybody would be offended if you dumped and scrubbed their buckets while farm-sitting, even if it isn't something they normally do themselves. Heck, maybe they will notice how gross they were and be inspired to do it themselves more often! I think it would be a nice "above and beyond" that would make me hire you again!

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree 100%, if you wouldn't drink out of that bucket, no animal should either.
    Of course they will drink it if they are thirsty enough, but why should they?
    If the bucket looks good, there is no need to scrub it daily.

17. janeen128

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA

LOL! I will be doing that very thing today I just can't stand it honestly

18. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I agree , if i wouldn't drink it , they won't be forced to either. When i change their water , some of them can't wait to get to that fresh cold water.
    A few of mine will drink while I'm filling it , my Jillybug LOVES to drink from the hose , lol..

19. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

At my house, we scrub buckets every night. The rule is if you wouldn't drink out of it, they shouldn't either...

20. Goat_in_Himmel

Goat_in_Himmel Active Member

Jun 23, 2013
    British Columbia
    I'm in the If-I-wouldn't-drink-it camp. That said, all of our water is from a silty creek, so maybe I have a greater tolerance for a brown-bottomed bucket of clear water. If there are bits of hay floating around, I fish them out and leave the water be; if there's a drowned mouse, I dump out the water and start fresh. The goats don't like dead mice in their water, any more than I do.

Different water sources and different climates will be more or less likely to foster algae. I doubt that most algae are harmful in and of themselves, but they indicate that there is something in the water for them to feed on, for good or for ill.

I personally would not put bleach in goats' water (or my own), lest it interfere with rumen bacteria. I am not sure of the effective life of bleach, and am doubtful about chlorine and its safe disposal.