The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my little geldings got into something and has a cut on his leg and his chest is all scrapped up. :( I walked around the entire field and couldn't find anything but a bush or two that he could have got chased through. He's at the bottom of the totem pole and gets picked on a lot so maybe thats what happened.

It's not severe and he dosent act like it bothers him, i washed it with warm soapy water but what should i put on it? On the leg cut its like a little piece of flesh about the size of 2 pencil erasers thats peeled up but only a little. Should i wrap it up and what medicine should i put on it? Then on his chest its a lot of little scratches and they are about a foot long and go from his chest to between his front legs. I can't really wrap that but what should i put on it? It's not really bad or anything but i dont want it to get infected. We've used the purple stuff a long time ago but i dont know what it's called. Is there anything else i should do? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
You could always put blue kote on it. Can you put him somewhere with another horse so he doesn't get picked on? At least long enough to heal.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going to go to TSC sometime today so ill look for blue kote or something like it. If i use blue kote would it be better to wrap his leg up or let it air out? Thanks :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, i wasn't really sure. Im going to tractor supply now and im going to come home and try to doctor him up. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the blu kote bottle and it said "not for horses" so i got cut and heal horse spray. It was a little puffy today and i cleaned it and put the spray on. How do i tell if its infected or if i should call the vet?

·
2,377 Posts
NuStock- does wonders for this type a thing. We have used it for various types of things..73% sulfur that will kill just about any bacteria in that cut.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of all times for this to happen its on a Sunday when no vets work, and the day before Labor Day so they still will be out tomorrow too. Im afraid its worse than i thought. :( His chest wounds have these fluid pouch things under his chest. I dont know what im supposed to do, im freaking out. The vet won't take calls till Tuesday so it looks like i have too just treat him with the spray until then. Should i ice it or put a heat pack on it?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yay! He's finally better!
We finally got a vet out a few days after he did it, and he said his chest was just a bruise with fluid on it. He ended up draining it which looked horrible, but my sweet boy took it like a man and it didnt phase him (while me on the other hand was cringing the whole time). The scratch on his chest healed way faster than the bruise and was in a whole different spot on his chest so im glad we got the vet out because i would have had no idea what was wrong.
His leg we had to clean it, put Neosporin on it, and wrap it up everyday for a week or so, along with 30 cc's of penicillin. Now his scraped knee is almost all the way gone and his chest is completely healed. :D
It might not have been a very fun experience but i sure did learn alot, like how to give shots, and wrap his leg. Im also glad it was him and not one of the jumpy horses, so i guess thats an upside.

Thank you everyone that helped. :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just so you know, next time try using betadine scrub on cuts... then use neosporin or any wound ointment. Then if flies are bad use swat underneath the wound or fly spray around it..it the would is below the knee or hock ill usually bandage a couple days at least. I've been doing this for years and never had infection problems

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. Ill have to write it down so ill remember. :)

I had a hard time trying to keep the wrap on his leg. I'd clean it, put the Neosporin on, put a gauze pad over that, then use regular horse leg wrap and wrap it but it would always slide down then he would get the wrap dirty so i would have to do it all over again, usually 3 times a day.

But maybe that was because of where it was, it was right below the knee on the top part of the cannon so when he walked i guess him bending his knee pushed it down. I've never wrapped legs before so maybe it was inexperience too. Do you have any tips on how tight, loose, how much to use, or any tips like that so ill know what to do next time it happens? :) (Hopefully not for a while)

·
Registered
771 Posts
There are many videos on youtube on how to wrap legs. I would have wrapped a couple inches above the wound, then went all the way down to the fetlock, or all the way down to the hoof. you should also use at least one layer of rolled gauze for protection, padding, and absorbtion from the wound.

heres my whole routine for disinfecting, treating and wrapping a wound.

tie horse somewhere safe with feed bag or have someone hold him.
hose wound off
apply betadine surgical scrub, following instructions.
hose off wound
I will usually cold water hose for 20 minutes, cant hurt and will reduce swelling.
Let air dry if wound will stay clean or use gauze pads to dry near wound. use clean rag on leg to dry it.

apply neosporin, furazone or woundkote to wound. Use alot.
Place gauze pad over wound
starting a few inches above wound, start unrolling gauze roll around horses leg, be sure not to be too tight or too loose. you should be able to get 2 fingers inside the bandage at top and bottom.

Go all the way down to pastern, or down to hoof, Ilike to go all the way down, if theres no wounds there, it isnt neccessary.
if you have left over you can go back up until you run out.
Then use vet wrap, and do the same as you did with the gauze roll.
after that i fly spray around the wrap, flies obviously cant get to wound but I dont want my horse to be stomping sore leg all day because of flies.

You can usually get neosporin, gauze pads and rolls at a dollar store. You can also use the off brand neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment is the off name. If the bandage sticks to the wound, use more neosporin. or you can use neosporin on the wound, then use furazone around it. You can get Furazone and vet wrap at tractor supply. I stock up when they go on sale.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You should look online and get a list of basic first aid supplies to have on hand. I also suggest a first aid book, thatll show you how to wrap legs and treat basic illnesses.

I usually change bandages three times a day if im worried about infection, or the first three days. When it starts looking better ill cut down to two times until I fell ok with it being open. If the horse is limping, I will apply standing wraps over the bandage, and on the other leg for support.
It will take some practice getting the wrap to stay, I still have problems if the horse is being fidgety. You may practice wrapping with a human ace bandage and a calm horse.
Dont hesitate to ask me questions! Glad your guy is better!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys! :) I will defiantly be getting a shopping list of things to keep around the barn.

It scared me to death when i first saw how bad it first looked, then i searched YouTube for things like it and saw horrible proud flesh infections on legs and huge cyst things on chests the size of basketballs and i was hyperventilating for about 3 days until the vet came. Haha, it never got really bad at all but i guess just seeing what it could be or would be freaked me out, but i guess i should get used to things like that happening.

But like yall said it happened to the best horse possible, i mean no drugs or anything and he got his chest sliced open with a knife, got 2 shots everyday for 2 weeks, and the only thing he was worried about was all the attention he was getting. Lol, the whole time the vet was there i was supposed to hold his head and keep him calm and he just wanted to play, kept nibbling my shirt and bumping me with his nose. He didnt bat an eye at any of it, but his buddy was out there with us and she ran up stood 10ft away and was alert and staring us down the whole time like you better not hurt him, it was pretty cute. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
It sounds like BrokenArrowRanch has done this rodeo a time or 2, their advice is sound. It is not unusual to have to reapply bandages multiple times during a day for horses, they just seem to work themselves out of things and as they move during the day, the swelling can go down and the bandage will slip. Depending on what the cut is and where it is will depend on what needs to be done, below the knee and hock on a horse is a totally different critter then above the knee and hock. Bandaging a horse's leg is another project that a horse owner should learn and know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts