Cut from our barb wire fence

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mountainmomma, Sep 12, 2014.

1. mountainmomma

mountainmomma New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Our milk goat got a cut on her teat this evening (on the side that her kid does not nurse on). It is not deep, but more like an inch wide triangle shape tear. We are going to clean it, and just keep an eye on the healing to see if we can milk her, but not this evening (we switched from morning milking to evening milkings so she hasn't been milked since last night). We are hoping to be able to relieve some of the pressure since that side seems to be really full, but it seems to be uncomfortable since it is at the top of her teat where the tear is. Could we try to milk her lower on her teat? I am not sure this wont open the wound. What is the next step to make sure she stays clean in her stall and to let her heal, but to keep the milk flowing and not get mastitis? Thanks for your help!

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    OUCH!! If it is not deep...I would milk as usual, the pressure of a full udder may be worse...being gentle as you can and be sure to have very clean hands...if you can milk lower on the teat to decrease the pain..that would be good...once you are done milking..wash her teat very well and spray with blukote or something simular.be sure her bedding has clean hay/straw to keep the wound out of the dirt...watch for redness and or swelling...if you suspect infection...you can start penicillian...1 cc per 20# twice daily for 5-7 days...Any changes in milk..Ie; flakes, lumps, clump blood...the test for mastisis...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Lubing her up with a lot of slippery udder cream would help your fingers slide with out tearing the skin more.

4. mountainmomma

mountainmomma New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion. We tried some bag balm and she didn't seem to mind being milked. Things are healing up today so I know it will get better. I appreciate your help! ;)

5. mountainmomma

mountainmomma New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Thank you for your suggestions and taking the time to write! We got to milk her last night without any trouble...so grateful! We will have to keep an eye on the wound and be sure it stays clean and not infected. She likes to climb up and sleep in the grain area of her stall and not in her clean hay where there are piles of manure from her. :/ We have been using alcohol wipes on her before we milk, and my husband used this to clean the wound. Is this okay to use. We live far from town so anything we may have here at the house would be ideal. Would hydrogen peroxide work too? Thank you!

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would use white vinegar and water...it kills the yuck and cleans the udder well while conditioning...Alcohol is very drying...I might save that to clean the area cut after milking..I would not use peroxide at this point...its great for a one time clean but will eat away at new tissue, so keeping the wound from healing..open air is her best friend...

might need to put hay in her grain feeder lol....

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California