Cut on udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CodyMyGoat, Mar 3, 2009.

1. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    Cody, our doe, has this large cut on her teat... We put antibiotics on it. Is it possible for there teats to get chapped?? it doesn't look like its from the fence...

2. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Some of our does got chapped and cracked teats from the babies nursing from her, we put udder balm on their teats to help prevent them from getting chapped and cracked.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Amy...good advice.... :wink: I would of said ...the same thing.....

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My does will get chapped teats even when the kids no longer are nursing, I use the original bag balm...green can, works great, even if those scrapes are from baby teeth. And it won't hurt the kids :greengrin:

5. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    Can we give her Penicillin?? one of the kids is on it for other reasons so would it be getting to much??

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is the scrape looking infected at all? Redness, swelling, pus discharge, heat, does Cody have a fever..temp higher than 103? Unless all of these are true I would say theres no need for her to be on an antibiotic. :hug:

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  8. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    It looks like a cut that was split open...How do we let it heel when its being stretched from the milk?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Theres really no way you can help that from happening, keeping it moist with bag balm will help it heal, as it won't be cracking and hurting her. Bag balm won't hurt the kids either, just watch her, it will take time but it will heal.