The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
After banding, is it better to cut the dead tissue off after a week or so, or to let it fall off on its own?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I received advice to cut after a week, and I just thought that was sort of counterintuitive. Thanks for confirming!
Also, does anyone know the dose for pour-on banamine?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Even if it is hangin by a strand let it fall off itself. That strand is not quite dry enough to be finished yet. Cutting it can just lead to infection.
Sorry, I was definitely not clear on this - because I've experienced the situation myself, I failed to give backstory.

If it's hanging, and open, infection can happen - if you see that, sometimes it's best to cut off the infected sack and treat the area and clean it. If it isn't infected, yes, leave it alone!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Banamine is an anti inflammatory- used for pain or fever. Perhaps you mean something else?
I know. I meant banamine. I have it on hand in case my goats are in greater-than-normal amount of pain after banding. They have big nuts, and although they're still in the reasonable window for banding, I wanted to have something on hand for pain just in case. Do you know the dose for pour-on? I can only find the dose for injectable.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I didn't know there was a pour on banamine.?? Always a shot I thought. Also a hint - we use a bordizzo for castration. It hurts the first crushing but they are fine right after - never had one show any after effect. We banded years ago and I hate that. I would see them hunkered up and knew they were sore. No soreness from the bordizzo.

I used to put a little iodine on the wound area where the bag is falling off.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Didn't even know there was a pour on Banamine till today. You'll have to contact your vet for dosage. I don't think anyone on here has used it before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't even know there was a pour on Banamine till today. You'll have to contact your vet for dosage. I don't think anyone on here has used it before.
10-4! I didn't know it was uncommon. :)

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
They do make a transdermal for cattle..... I would contact your vet for proper dosage. Personally I like to dose individually and as needed. You CAN (and I always do) give banamine orally or sub q. Banding is not ongoing pain like other chronic diseases. I really wouldn't want something that I can't control the length of time as needed and if needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My vet prescribed 3 days of oral Meloxicam but I only had to use it for 2 because by day three they were back to normal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts