The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone else here uses the surgical procedure for castrating bucks. Most people here use the banding or burdizzo method I think. I actually heard of these for the first time in this forum! What method do you use? At what age do you castrate? Do you do it at home or does a vet do it for you?

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
We band. After a tetanus antitoxin and bananine shot we band and boys do pretty well. We don't band before 4 months old but prefer 6 months to allow good width growth of the urethra. Helps if stones are ever an issue.
Cut method is more risky for infection and fly attack.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I would like to try banding/ burdizzo since I read it's bloodless, but the equipment is not sold here....cutting is a bit messy and needs someone with a strong stomach...but with necessary steps, flies are usually not a problem. For instance, its usually done in dry season and we put crushed basil, neem oil etc around the area( not on incision) to deter insects. I usually use eucalyptus essential oil.
Completely understand why people would choose other methods though

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan in place for after care. Do kids get pain meds before hand or a tetanus antitoxin shot? Tetanus is a serious condition best prevented. Not all country have the same medications available however

Reactions: MadHouse and Aasiya

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pain meds are usually not given...but I always give Tetanus antitoxin prior. Mostly noone does though. If the kid acts in pain 48 hours after, I will start them on pain meds...but not before...my vets say it will increase bleeding.
Here it's an at home procedure...the vet/ experienced farmer shows you the first time...you do the rest on your own. I started after the first lockdown when my vet was transferred.It's usually done at a few weeks old, only recent breeders wait longer..but since I wait till 12 weeks...I have to be extra careful about bleeding. Scraping cords properly+ lots of bloodstop antiseptic powder+no potential blood thinners( and lots of prayers!), haven't had a kid haemorrhage/ get an infection till now. I actually did my fourth buckling yesterday..so was wondering how others went about the process.
Is it possible to band a goat at any age? Because usually noone attempts cutting bucks older than 3 months, it's rarely done at all or someone from the agricultural university is called, so that it can be sutured and everything.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Yes adult bucks can be [email protected] raises pack goats and has done adults with success. Often need larger bands but it's done.
Cutting sounds scary. I don't even have the stomach for disbudding lol,, my daughter has to do it. Im a wimp. Sounds like you are very compassionate about it. Any way you could order the bands and tools to be shipped to you?

Reactions: MadHouse and Aasiya

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol yes, my mother is the same,she hates blood!...it's not that scary though...I was rather scared the first time. It's been a good learning curve. This time I ordered a surgical scalpel and it went much smoother as I could cut more precisely than a knife...there will always be a bit of blood, but as long as it's not spurting, it's good to let it drain for a while. The main thing is to keep everything clean and restrain the kid properly.
Iv checked the companies that ship to BD...none of them seem to carry the stuff, and Amazon doesn't ship here either so...
To be honest, I prefer cutting at this point...to let it slough off seems to carry risks too!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I band as well. I used to use the burdizzo method but had a few one testicle boys that had to be re done so wanted to make sure it was a for sure thing.
I first debated on cutting with the goats since that was how we always did the calf’s (until we changed summer pastures that is thick with bears) but after watching how different the goats are to the cows I decided not to. Mine seem to have their specific spots where they lay down, and the first thing they do when they get up is poop in that spot and will come back later and lay in that spot again. If I had them more contained where they could only lay in clean straw I think it would be just fine but they are usually scattered all over the pasture. And I admit it’s wouldn’t be the blood that bothers me it would be how dang vocal goats are compared to the cows that would really bother me if I went that way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was just curious if anyone else here uses the surgical procedure for castrating bucks. Most people here use the banding or burdizzo method I think. I actually heard of these for the first time in this forum! What method do you use? At what age do you castrate? Do you do it at home or does a vet do it for you?
We have castrated at the vet. I always insist they get a pain shot first. I would band but husband has psychological issues with banding :) he thinks a cut is better. I wish I had the guts to do it myself but our vet (last year) just charged $25 for the first one and $5 for each additional. It's not worth trying to do it ourselves.

·
Registered
431 Posts
We have castrated at the vet. I always insist they get a pain shot first. I would band but husband has psychological issues with banding :) he thinks a cut is better. I wish I had the guts to do it myself but our vet (last year) just charged $25 for the first one and $5 for each additional. It's not worth trying to do it ourselves.
I’m honestly kinda with your husband. I don’t know the thought of a body part dying and falling off just is not appealing to me and it took me awhile to be ok with banding, which is why I didn’t start out doing it that way. Now I just don’t think about it and do it because I know it’s the better option for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really interesting reading everyone's different methods! I was initially worried about poop contamination too...but it's not a problem for me in the day time as I keep them on a well swept concrete lot. At night I have a large divided balcony attached to my bedrooms back door...the indoor side is my 'hospital pen'...I bed it with newspapers and the wounded goat stays here till it heals. Best thing is, it's divided by a glass door, so the mother and other kids stay on the other side to comfort the castrated kid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts