Cutting spurs on back of roosters feet

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by sassy, Oct 1, 2014.

1. sassy

sassy New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Can anyone tell me how you cut the large spur on the back of the roosters. Feet? The spur is about 3 inches long and really pointy.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

2. BoulderOaks

BoulderOaks Active Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Weldon, CA
    I usually cut it with hoof trimmers or those tree branch nipper things and just take it down to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. It can bleed a teeny bit, but usually not much.

3. sassy

sassy New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Are they like dogs toe nails where ya can see the quick? I'm nervous on cutting it but they are extremely long and also one of the chickens have the same thing.

4. sassy

sassy New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1412214489.894052.jpg heres his picture. His name is train. He's actually my sisters rooster. Zoom in and see his claw. And tell me what you think?

5. sassy

sassy New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    He's the dad to all my baby chicks lol. Proud looking rooster lol

6. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

I saw a video some guy used a hot potato to remove spur.

7. sassy

sassy New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Wow. That sounds weird. Where can I find that video?

8. cowgirlboergoats

cowgirlboergoats New Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I looked it up on youtube. Even thought I didn't find it I think there is some good videos about it though

9. cowgirlboergoats

cowgirlboergoats New Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Ok this is what I found on the hot potatoes thing. I was reading comments on how the take the other "shell" off the spurs, witch the rooster does still have a little bit left.

a very easy way to remove them is to microwave two small potatoes, impale the hot potato onto the spur (the heat will loosen, as well as cauterize the spur. It comes off very easily this way. Less trauma, less twisting and tugging, and less likely to get infected. Sprinkle blood stop powder on the spurs to stop any bleeding. I also usually do this in winter; the cold helps numb it and speeds healing. And no chance of flies laying eggs. It is also best to do this at night once he's up on his roost. By morning, any bleeding is done, no dirt from walking around. Less chance of infection.
    I hope this helps and you might want to keep him away from the hens of a while unroll there is not any blood if he did bleed at all.

10. sassy

sassy New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Do they bleed a lot ... Is it painful?