The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you train the goats to not cut the trail on switchbacks?

When we hiked on Stansbury Island, which is not a particularly sensitive area since it is grazed by cows, we had five children and two adults, and the four goats.

Since the children were spread out along the trail, the goats also were spread out.

When we came to the switchbacks, it made more sense to the goats just to walk straight up rather than to follow us up the zigzagging path.

I could see where someone might take offense at that in a more sensitive area.

On other trails they would cut the very last part of the corner in order to gain position advantage on the goats ahead of them, followed by Jockeying for position again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In addition to Rex’s suggestion, it’s probably worth the time to do training hikes where you can teach them to say on the trail. Have about 2 goats per adult and focus on training them to say on the trail at switchbacks. Once they learn that you want them to stay on the trail, they will usually do it in less structured situations. Walking sticks and a squirt bottle are helpful tools.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My goats are bad about cutting the switchbacks, too. Waiting for them to all show up is one thing I try to do, but sometimes they know where we are going, and just want to cut ahead. When they start doing that I connect their leashes together and then lead them around the switchback. It's a pain, but I don't want them cutting the switchbacks and messing up the trails. I doubt if my goats could learn to never ever cut switchbacks. Almost all of our hiking is off trail where everybody just finds their own best way. So when we get on a trail (which isn't too often) they don't have any respect for the trail. They just go wherever is easiest, or wherever there is something tasty to eat. So I just have to restrain them and make them follow me around the switchbacks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts