Cuzco's Glamour Shot o' the Day

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by Nanno, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO
    Cuzco told me yesterday that he's too gorgeous and talented not to be famous. I told him that while I can't guarantee I can get him into the movies, I can at least post more photos of him to the pack goat forums. He said that's a good start, so here's the first installment. :)

Cuzco_Winter.jpg

2. ali pearson

ali pearson New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Yes he's gorgeous, but can he hit the marks and say the lines? I'm working on that with my best trick goat Ouija. I'll see you in hollywood!

View attachment 438

Attached Files:

3. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Senior Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Bet they'd make a mean team!

4. ryorkies

ryorkies New Member

May 4, 2010
    "Nah!"
    "Nah!"
    "Nah?" :lol:

5. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO
    Although he's the silent type, Cuzco knows exactly how to hit his marks! He also does a few tricks and he loves to shake hands. He can pose perfectly for the camera to show off his best angles.
    View attachment 448
    Does this goat not belong at the Oscars? :D

Attached Files:

6. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO
    Sometimes the most amazing personalities have a strong stubborn streak running through them. This is one of my favorite photos of Cuzco, and I even had it printed on some custom checks. Paying taxes on these checks makes me feel just a teensy bit better each quarter.
    View attachment 457

Attached Files:

7. Rex

Rex New Member

Nov 30, 2008
    That is funny!! :lol:

8. GoatWild

GoatWild New Member

Nov 29, 2010

Attached Files:

9. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    He is a very handsome goat, and very tall. What kind of goat is he and please tell me about your dress.
    Nancy

10. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO
    GoatWild, don't you love how goats always look like they're smiling? Dolphins are famous for their "smiles." Not only do goats smile, they're also fuzzy and huggable!
    View attachment 459
    Rockytopsis,
    Cuzco is an alpine/nubian cross, going on nine years old now. I got the dress last June from The Pyramid Collection: http://www.pyramidcollection.com/itemdy ... 0&srccode=
    I wore it for the awesome annual event called the Denver HearseCon: http://www.hearseclub.com/hearsecon/hearsecon.htm
    I very nearly brought Cuzco with us to HearseCon last year, but ended up leaving him home for logistical reasons. Perhaps this will be the year. I think he would be a huge hit with the goth crowd.

Attached Files:

11. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Any time I have taken my Shaq and his wagon to any kind of function he seems to be a big hit, and he loves the attention.
    [​IMG]
    He has been handled since birth and around many many school kids.
    I think your dress in beautiful and would fit in with several kind of functions where goats are present.

Nancy

ReNat likes this.
  12. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO
    I love your wagon and goats, Nancy. The Christmas tree is especially cute! :)

You may want to look at your hitch, though. It looks like you've got your goat so far back in the shafts his hind legs are hitting. It looks like the shafts are fastened to the collar instead of the saddle. This could work if your shafts were longer. I can't see where the britchin is attached, but I'm guessing you ran the holdback straps under the belly and fastened them to the front of collar in the way we usually do with a team hitch. Once again, this should work if you get longer shafts. If you don't want to get longer shafts, then you need to get some shaft loops for your saddle (these hold up the shafts). Next, bolt some holdback fittings to the bottom of your shafts about half-way up. These are little U-shaped metal brackets that allow you to wrap the holdback straps on your britchin around the shafts so you can move your goat further forward in the hitch.

Finally, your tugs should not be run up through the hip straps. Draft lines should always be straight and the line of pull should preferably be at right angles to the point of draft. Since you're using a collar, this means the tugs should angle down and attach at the height of the bottom of your wagon. You may think about rigging up a whiffletree to hook your tugs to. This is will make the goat more comfortable and the wagon roll more smoothly. This isn't as much of a concern if you keep the loads light, but if you ever want to haul people, you'll definitely want a proper hitch for both comfort and safety. ;)

13. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Thanks Nanno, for the info.
    I think I understand the things you are talking about. I am as green as it comes on proper harness.

The Shafts are fine when Shaq is pulling. That picture does make it look like it is right on his hind legs. This is a much better picture showing the room he has, and they are attached to a different place. Is that what is called the saddle?
    [​IMG]

I have often thought that the tugs ( never knew the proper name for them) were wrong and will attach them to the bottom of the wagon from now on. What is a wiffletree? I am just not sure of this term, but when I understand how it is used I will make that adjustment.

I only use Shaq for display at 4H functions and he has been in the 4H program since he was 2 months old and he turns 4 this March.
    Most people in this area think goats still eat tin cans an cigarette butts. There are several folks who milk and use the meat ( including me) and the 4H group just wanted to show kids that goats can also be fun.
    The heaviest load he has ever pulled is the dog in the picture and Paulie just passed this month and will be missed by all the kids.
    Nancy

14. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO
    I think this picture is appropriate for the current discussion. :)
    View attachment 460
    Nancy, my best suggestion is to find someone in your area who drives horses and get some tips on harnessing and hitching. Harnesses are definitely complicated affairs! It can be really hard to get it right without some hands-on instruction. I ran a business conducting carriage tours for a couple of years, and it took me quite some time to get the harness properly sorted even after some help. There is quite a bit of information online to get you started, but nothing beats having a person show you how it's done.

Try to achieve straight lines and right angles when hitching, and make sure there is very little slack in the harness. The shafts should not slide forward or back at all when the goat starts and stops. When he starts, the wagon should start at the same time with no slack having to be taken up by your tugs, and when he stops, the wagon should stop immediately without having to take up slack in the britchin or holdback straps. If there is slack, your harness can chafe and your goat will get an uncomfortable tug at the collar when he starts and a slap in the butt when he stops.

Attached Files:

15. ali pearson

ali pearson New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Nanno, I never cease to be amazed at what you do/have done!

16. McDanAx

McDanAx New Member

May 24, 2010
    Love the buggy pic.

17. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Thanks for your help. I wish there were more goat doings in this area.
    Nancy

18. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO
    Forbidden fruit is always the sweetest.
    View attachment 464

Nancy, since you seem interested in driving, I posted a new topic in the cart goat section that I hope is helpful.
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=881
    If you have any questions, that would be a great place to ask them and I'll see if I can answer them or look the answers up. I'd love it if other goat drivers would also chime in with their experience and knowledge since I know more about driving horses than goats.

Attached Files:

19. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO

Attached Files:

20. Nanno

Nanno New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Rye, CO

Attached Files: