cycles

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Do does go though heat cycles year around?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The only breeds I know of that do cycle year-round are the Nigerian Dwarf, Pygmy, and Boer goats. I think it is because they originate in Africa, the warm temps cause them to cycle year-round? I'm not positive on that, but it sounds right. ;)

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't know much. I am thinking of taking the buck I have to the sale barn, but I want to be sure the doelings I have are bred. I don't even know what breed, but think they are boer crosses.Would it be wise to think they are bred or have to wait till next year to be bred?

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    What breed is your buck? If he is the breed you would like to breed them to and he has good temperment and meets your standards I would make sure they are bred before you sell him. JMHO. Depending on how far along they would be you could have an ultrasound or a blood test done to see if they are bred?

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm new to goats also but I am understanding that bucks of most breeds will only go into rut during their doe's typical breeding season. So, an Alpine or Nubian buck won't be able to be used to breed in the spring and summer.

If this is wrong, please, someone, correct. me.

How long was your buck with your does? Do you have any idea on your does heat cycles?

6. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I work pretty much, and have a baby girl. I don't get to watch them to see if he breeds them or not. I do notice he pees on himself only sometimes. I did notice this pass week that the smaller does privates were swollen, and now it is not and he is not peeing on himself. I brought the two females alittle before the buck. I keep them all together. I'm thinking that the breeding season is over and take my chances that he did his job. I'm learning alittle bit and realize he is not what I want. He is to big, so I will sell him and hope to get some babies off of him. Oh yeah, but I can eat the babies.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm not positive, but I think boers typical breeding season is in Fall/Winter. A buck can breed does anytime of year. When they are in rut is when they pee all over themselves, reak, and they seem to beef up also....this is when they are most interested in the girls, but they can breed a doe anytime even when he's not in rut.

To make sure your girls are bred you would need to watch them closely, but since it sounds like you don't have a whole bunch of time to do that it would be harder to see if they come back in heat. I would probably sell him and if they don't kid in spring then you'll have to get a new buck and try again. If the buck you have now has been living with them for awhile now they're probably bred.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would wait till he has been with them 2 whole months to make sure he was with them for a heat cycle and if they didnt settle they would cycle again for breeding.

Chances are he didnt take his time once they were in heat but other times does if young wont cycle till later in the year (about now).