cydectin for lice? and doe not eating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by praisemymaker, May 27, 2015.

1. praisemymaker

praisemymaker Member

May 20, 2015
    Hi...two topics:

Our kids have lice and we were wondering if we could use the cydectin cattle pour on wormer. The kids range in age from 8 to 6 weeks. If cydectin is not good, what about permethrin?

We have a doe that has battled mastitis, worms and coccidia. We have gotten her over everything (i think) but she still will not eat. This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks. She nibbles at hay, & leaves, and she drinks, but otherwise nothing. She is really beginning to show the weight loss and we just can not get her to eat. She acts like she wants to eat, but when you offer her the food (whatever it may be) she just sniffs it and turns her head. She has minerals, salt, baking soda, and kelp free choice, as well as hay. We give her red cell once a day to help w/the anemia. We were giving vet b complex but have stopped...maybe we should try that again? Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    I noticed no one had responded and just wanted to let you know you're not completely ignored.

I'm Very, very EXTREMELY super new to goats, but after you pumped her full of wormer and meds, did you give probiotics?

Maybe her system is all out of whack? Anyway, it's all I've got but I don't think it will hurt her from what I've read. And if it's the dumbest thing you've heard to date, please take it with a grain of salt as I have no real world experience with sick goats

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't use cydectin so can't help you there.

Your doe's rumen is off big time. You need to get rumen boluses that strictly put good bacteria and yeast in her or try dark beer.

4. praisemymaker

praisemymaker Member

May 20, 2015
    We did use a whole tube of Goats Prefer probiotics. What are rumen boluses? Is it something we need to order? I have wondered if her rumen was the problem.

Thanks!

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

6. praisemymaker

praisemymaker Member

May 20, 2015
    Thanks for the link. Will check that out. We are about at our wits end w/this girl but we can keep trying.

We will probably go w/the permethrin on the kids, thanks there too!