The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 year old doe that is acting very bucky. When she was a year, before ever being exposed to a buck, she experienced a false pregnancy. Then a year ago, at 5 years old, she started flagging and mounting other does. This HAS NOT STOPPED (been going on for a year) and now she has a bag that is producing milk. I gave her lute and it did not do anything. The vet came out and I asked about ovarian cysts and she said probably a theca granulosa cell tumor. I then put the doe with a buck and he mounted her constantly for 5 days so I finally pulled her this last Tuesday. She is still actively flagging and mounting the other does. Any advice? Has anyone had any experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Are you wanting to breed her or just want the bucky behavior to stop? Certainly cystic ovaries will create those behaviors.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you are wanting to breed her I would get Cystorelin (or Fertagyl which is pretty much the same thing and is what I use) it's used to treat cystic ovaries in cattle or in my case, to cause ovulation in my does out of season. It shouldn't be that expensive if you get, say, 4-6ml? I bought 20ml for $20 from my vet so I would assume it would only run you around $6-10. Give her 2ml, turn her in with the buck a few hours later. Give another 2ml, 24hrs later. You can also repeat this one more time if she is still showing signs of heat. And if it is a tumor and not cystic ovaries it won't do any harm.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If she gets pregnant its very likely the behavior will stop. No guarantee it would be forever though. Might stop her for good, or as soon as she weaned her kids(if she can get bred) it might start again. But I would expect you could have 5-10 months of no more bucky behivor. And you could get a replacement for out of her, however all her buckings should be wethered, and her doeling either kept by you to see if it is genetic or just something with that doe, or sold with full knowledge they may have that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts